1. {Name}
    Welcome to the KKF!
    Please take a moment to register and stop by the New Member Check-In and say hello. We sincerely hope you enjoy your stay and the discussion of all things sharp.
    Feel free to jump right in on the conversation or make your own. We have an edge on life!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Take a look at our new AUCTION SYSTEM

This service is available to all KKFora members to both Bid on and Auction off (Sell)items.
    Dismiss Notice

I guess it's time , really didn't want to this , but maybe .... A passaround ?

Discussion in 'Tansu Knives' started by chefcomesback, May 6, 2015.

1. chefcomesback

chefcomesback Founding Member

Haven't thought of the details yet , I have been against pass arounds with the all stories of missing knives also being a pro chef and an efficient end user I always had chance to test my work instantly .The ones I have send out came pretty much same conclusions with what I had anyway .Few of you who trusted to buy a custom knife from me and gave me feedback encouraged me to do this . I am not selling knives to make living and I am quite happy with the numbers of the knives I am making , but I have a very uphill battle as a very new maker and being labelled as a "garage amateur" or being overlooked fuelled me to do this . I have used and seen quite a bit of knives to have an idea where I am standing and I would like to give you a chance to use one of my knives . Now I am debating doing one in N.America ( didn't forget you Lefty ) and one in Down under , most likely a forged 52100 and a takefu shiro sumingashi one wa one western , I have an overdue order to finish and will be working on those soon . Let me know if you are interested in , who knows maybe you may like them

2. Rick

Rick aka Pensacola Tiger Founding Member Gold Contributor

Thanks for offering to do a passaround, even though, as you say, you don't really need to do one for feedback. I'd like to try one of your knives in what you call your "workhorse" grind.

Rick

3. chefcomesback

Sorry if I was misunderstood Rick , it's not that I don't need or don't value feedback , what I evaluated them were identical at the feedback I was receiving I tried to say

4. Bit late for me eh?

5. chefcomesback

Rami how many more do you need ? :D
    Joke aside , you are welcome anytime

6. Rick

Rick aka Pensacola Tiger Founding Member Gold Contributor

No, it's just that most forum passarounds are usually done by smiths to get an idea of what improvements to make. You'll probably just get more confirmation that you're doing something right. Of course, the exposure won't hurt.

7. schanop

schanop Founding Member

Would be interested, chef.

8. For me the passaround was probably a lot as it was for Mert here. I've received evaluation from a number of guys I trust...but there's always just a little bit of...'hmm...' factor to it all. Plus...the bigger the pool for evaluation, the more room there is to find places to improve. But as you said Rick...the exposure is the main benefit when a smith is in the position Mert and I seem to be in. From all I've talked to, Mert's knives are well within what one would consider the 'top 20%'...for want of a better way of putting it. Probably even better, though I don't want to give him a big head :p. I've heard nothing but good. I think a passaround for him feel like that one armed drummer from Def Leppard when it comes to orders :p.

By the way brother, count me in. I know when I do my Australian passaround, I was going to ask you to manage it for me lol.

9. Andre

Andre Founding Member

I would like to be considered, and am also interested in what you call your workhorse grind. Thanks for even thinking of this, considering the missing knives of late.

10. Taylor

Taylor Professional Craftsman Founding Member

I'd love to try one of your knives Mert!

11. I'll gladly give you feedback on my private pass around, Mert ;)

I hope many more will do the same :like

Cheers,

J

12. chefcomesback

Thanks Cris , i will try not to have a big head :D I would love to try one of your gyutos If it makes it to down under , wasn't sure if Oz was in passaround would chase it for you
    With my full time job I don't want to take more orders than I am comfortable with and would like keep it that way . I can not be more productive than what I already am , and will be making more like 20-30 a year

13. Brad Gibson

Brad Gibson Founding Member

I would feel privileged to have one of your knives in my kit for a couple weeks. count me in

14. It would be like preaching to the converted. ;)

15. 20 to 30 a year!! That's more than I'm doing even now lol! That adds up to one knife finished every two weeks or so lol.

I think if everything was square in my shop, and I had the 220v I need...that'd be just a bit under my max capacity.

As for the Australian passaround...yes sir! I'll let you know when it's coming to you :).

16. chefcomesback

[QU OTE="CrisAnderson27, post: 33421, member: 334"]20 to 30 a year!! That's more than I'm doing even now lol! That adds up to one knife finished every two weeks or so lol.

I think if everything was square in my shop, and I had the 220v I need...that'd be just a bit under my max capacity.

As for the Australian passaround...yes sir! I'll let you know when it's coming to you :).[/QUOTE]
    Because I don't finish them as nice as you ;) and with mostly western handles which only have 2 parts I am getting quite efficient

17. Mert, I'm glad you are doing this! People need to know what I know, you make a damn good knife!
    You know I am already a fan , no need to send one to me :)
    Guys I know Mert is new in the game, I was hesitant at first as I don't have a great deal of money to spare.... But Mert has sent me a few knives and rami also lent me one and I can promise there is no need to worry. For a new maker he makes outstanding knives!
    The two gyutos I have handled of merts are truly excellent cutters & perform on par if not better than any other highend knives I've tried.

I can't wait for the gyuto you are making for me :) get your asses on merts custom list guys you won't regret it.

Last edited: May 7, 2015
  18. Lol...the honyaki thing definitely requires a greater level of finish than most :). I really need to do some westerns. Its just not my thing though...so I haven't bothered.

On the passaround...I'm looking forward to it. I've heard all good things...and love cutting with other maker's knives...particularly my friend's. The last friend's knife I used was Don Nyguyen...and his knives suit him. Its simply amazing how much each maker's personality shows up in their work!

19. Chuckles

Chuckles Founding Member

I would love to try one of your knives Mert.

20. I would love to try but I am not sure it is coming stateside