1. {Name}
    Welcome to the KKF!
    Please take a moment to register and stop by the New Member Check-In and say hello. We sincerely hope you enjoy your stay and the discussion of all things sharp.
    Feel free to jump right in on the conversation or make your own. We have an edge on life!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Take a look at our new AUCTION SYSTEM

This service is available to all KKFora members to both Bid on and Auction off (Sell)items.
    Dismiss Notice

I am a little bit old fashion

Discussion in 'The Kitchen Knife' started by roberto, Mar 3, 2014.

1. roberto

roberto Founding Member

So I really do not like patina on my knives but how can I keep them blank without ruining the edge quickly
    by cleaning them with scrubbing powder and a hard nylon sponge like I do now?

2. Rick

Rick aka Pensacola Tiger Founding Member Gold Contributor

You could try using a piece of daikon like the Japanese chefs do, and a milder abrasive powder like Bon Ami.

3. Spaz

Spaz Founding Member

Flitz removes the patina and keeps it from forming as fast.

4. roberto

roberto Founding Member

Ok I will try these options

5. BathonUk

BathonUk Founding Member

What about finger stone? Make a little one and once you decide to remove patina use finger stone. Maybe after many many many patina removal's you will get nice polish:D hehe

6. MotoMike

MotoMike Founding Member

Can we discuss what this patina is? from the pics I have seen it appears to be some sort of oxidation but not rust. Personally I like the look of the patina and wonder how delicate it is, can it be preserved and cultivated? does sharpening ruin it? It reminds me a bit of bluing on a firearm. a finish that protects but not in the extreme.

7. John Fout

John Fout Founding Member

You have it basically summed up. It will disappear or scratch off if sharpened or thinned. There are a bunch of different ways of forcing a patina but the prettiest are the most natural ones that just get used. You can preserve them some by not cutting thing that will remove a patina like citrus fruits... If it is a well developed and non-forced patina the citrus may not effect it much. Different meats and vegetables can cause different patina colors. Meats tend to be bluer than vegetables which tend to be a little brown.

Vintage virgin carbons tend to eventuall just make the blade grey but a lot of color can still come through.

If you dislike a patina, you have to be meticulous with a new knife and as it ages there will become less reactive... Lots of cleaning and scrubbing.
    Forced Patina... I used mustard.
    [​IMG]
    I don't have a good picture of a natural patina but they tend to be a little mellower and more beautiful. Lots of pictures out there of them. I kind of like the idea of a non-patina'd carbon blade but I only see them on some of the old Sabs I rehab. So much work otherwise.

8. ptolemy

ptolemy Founding Member

Wow. That's some patina. Personally, I don't mind patina but I can tell you, everyone looks at my knives and thinks they are dirty..

9. BathonUk

BathonUk Founding Member

Just clean them properly and wipe them frequently. You can use some scrub powder to do that. I like patina on gyutos but single bevels look better when properly polished.

10. EdipisReks

EdipisReks The Picasso of Creepiness Founding Member

Flitz won't completely remove patina, in my experience, though it'll make the stains that are left behind very shiny. I'd simply use a cork and some baking soda or other mild abrasive (not BKF: as much as I love BKF, I wouldn't want to use it every day on my knives). I give all my carbon knives a hot vinegar bath before their first sharpening (and after every thinning) to provide an even finish, and then I don't worry about the patina that forms.

11. mr drinky

mr drinky Founding Member Gold Contributor

I use a cork and BKF, but do it very infrequently. Corks are a lot less expensive than daikon radish. If I really want to remove something I take Flitz to it after BKF. It gets enough off for my standards

k.

12. roberto

roberto Founding Member

I started using baking soda and cork,so far so good