1. {Name}
    Welcome to the KKF!
    Please take a moment to register and stop by the New Member Check-In and say hello. We sincerely hope you enjoy your stay and the discussion of all things sharp.
    Feel free to jump right in on the conversation or make your own. We have an edge on life!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Take a look at our new AUCTION SYSTEM

This service is available to all KKFora members to both Bid on and Auction off (Sell)items.
    Dismiss Notice

Hunting knives

Discussion in 'EDC - What is in your pocket?' started by Argonaut, Feb 22, 2014.

1. Argonaut

Argonaut People call me French sounding words Founding Member

I'm not sure if this is the spot for this, but someone can move it if it's not. I'd like to see the other non culinary related knives you guys are proud of. Most of mine are nothing special, but I do have a Frazee kneck knife that is currently my only knife from a custom maker. I got this for a great price from a guy who never used it, $60 for a $160 knife. I'd like to know if you guys are familiar with Frazee Forge, this is sweet little 2 1/2 inch blade that comes in handy for small game and such. it holds an edge and I could shave with it if needed. It's 440c blasted/stone washed, carbon fiber handle with ss pins. Anybody know this maker personally? tmp_Image_Knife.asp910231552.jpeg

2. Legion

Legion Founding Member

I don't do much, if any hunting any more. When I was in the bush I used a number of knives, but mainly two depending if I was hunting/killing WITH the knife, or just using it to dress the animal after it had been shot.

To dispatch the animal (a big, pissed off pig usually) I used a KaBar USMC knife, and had a Fairbairn Sykes commando knife as a backup (which is now my letter opener on my desk.)

For most other tasks, and milder critters I have a custom knife made by ML knives in the US, who uses old school blacksmith skills to build period knives for hunters and black powder enthusiasts, etc. It takes a great edge and I really like how it feels in the hand.

[​IMG]

3. James

James smarter then your average duck Founding Member Gold Contributor

4. gavination

gavination Founding Member

Whoa. Seksi!

5. Legion

Legion Founding Member

Nice looking knife. Probably not the most practical handle materials for gutting a pig.... Even a flying one. :D

6. James

James smarter then your average duck Founding Member Gold Contributor

I dont know about that samurai aplit humans in two with them for a long time with those handles lol

7. Paradox

Paradox Founding Member

Adam Marr made this one for me last year. It's a beast for sure.

[​IMG]

I love the green liners. ;)

[​IMG]

8. Burl Source

Burl Source Founding Member

I have a few.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

9. Paradox

Paradox Founding Member

Mark, tell us about that third one please? It's a beauty.

10. cclin

cclin Founding Member

some from my old collection...
    20140224_180810.jpg 20140224_181402.jpg 20140224_181841.jpg

11. Burl Source

Burl Source Founding Member

That was a gift from knife maker Ryan Weeks. One of his neck knives.
    He does his own style with the knives he makes. Kind of unusual but I like them.
    The scales were an unusual type of dense redwood burl.

12. Paradox

Paradox Founding Member

I think it looks super and functional. I'm going to see if I can't source myself something like that when I have some knife coin available. ;)

13. mr drinky

mr drinky Founding Member Gold Contributor

I love that Marr knife. Nice one.

k.

14. mr drinky

mr drinky Founding Member Gold Contributor

I love my Al Pendary wootz hunter. It is the lower knife (old photo).

Attached Files:

15. Argonaut

16. Christopher

Christopher Founding Member

+1

That handle is awesome!!

17. cclin

cclin Founding Member

sorry, I don't know! I picked that one at CA custom knife show about 10 years ago, very tough carbon steel, take a great edge. smoked nature leather/jawbone handle is very comfortable. I would greatly appreciate If some one can help me identify this knife.

18. Argonaut

Just from the looks of the K-9's I'd guess coyote

19. Andrew

Andrew Have Pen Will Travel Founding Member

I got a new knife tonight, and it was totally unexpected... and what a knife it is. So I'm a geologist by training. I have a fairly silly rock and mineral collection, and I've been trying to divest myself of most of it. Turns out this isn't a hot craigslist item.

I have a buddy who is a solid-state chemist, who I recently discovered is a bit of a mineralogy/chrystallography nerd. We have a shared interest in pocket knives, mainly Spydercos. In fact, it's sort of how we became friends. Anyway, I dropped by his house this evening with a load of homebrew and several boxes of geologic samples. I told him to take what he wanted and walked him through everything I had. I mentioned that I'd been spending some time here at KKF and had recently purchased an exciting kitchen knife. He gave his condolences on my falling down that rabbit hole.

We talked steels a bit. Then he excused himself for a minute and returned with a Spyderco box. He handed it to me and said it was mine in exchange for the minerals. I told him it wasn't necessary, but he insisted. The knife I was given is a Caly Super Blue, and I think it's amazing. My friend carries/uses one every day, as it's his favorite folding knife. This was an extra he had stashed away. He has a pretty ridiculous Spyderco collection, mostly new in boxes, mostly rare gems.

So here it is nearly half past 11pm, and I'm still a little taken aback. This is one of the nicest gifts I've ever been given, and it's one of my most prized possessions. It would be an understatement to say I've had a good day.

20. Chuckles

Chuckles Founding Member