1. {Name}
    Welcome to the KKF!
    Please take a moment to register and stop by the New Member Check-In and say hello. We sincerely hope you enjoy your stay and the discussion of all things sharp.
    Feel free to jump right in on the conversation or make your own. We have an edge on life!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Take a look at our new AUCTION SYSTEM

This service is available to all KKFora members to both Bid on and Auction off (Sell)items.
    Dismiss Notice

Hunting knife-edc

Discussion in 'EDC - What is in your pocket?' started by chefcomesback, Sep 21, 2014.

1. chefcomesback

chefcomesback Founding Member

I am planning to make couple hunting /edc knives for my father in law and brother in law for their birthdays who occasionally hunt deer , boar ,wild turkey etc. I havent hunted in my life or held a hunting knife before so I dont have any idea what to look for or base it on. Can anyone recommend a good hunting knife maybe something on the smaller side that it can be used as edc maybe? My plans are not set in stone, if it looks like too much of a work , I may just buy them so I am open to suggestions as well
    Thank You, Mert

2. Christopher

Christopher Founding Member

3. Lucretia

Lucretia Founding Member

4. Chuckles

Chuckles Founding Member

Ha! I was thinking about starting a thread just like this. I am thinking of trying a hunting knife for a Christmas present. I don't know a single thing about hunting knives other than that the guys I go hunting with never get a chance to use them.

5. Chuckles

Chuckles Founding Member

I like the model 5 small camp and trail from Lucretia's link.

6. Mert, I've got a profile you can try your hand at if you'd like...it's a great all around hunter/camp/trail knife, and wasn't too difficult to make.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I made this one with files and a 1x30 belt sander...so I'm sure you'd be capable. You can also do as you like with the handle...it's the blade shape you'd be after for a hunting knife. Though this handle profile is very suited to the overall ergonomics.

Hope that helps brother!...and if you'd like any advice or pointers, you know I've got an open door :).

7. chefcomesback

Thank you all for your input ,
    @Christopher I will watch it again ask my father in law some questions
    @Lucretia I liked the number 5 although it looks like a small Bowie
    @CrisAnderson27 thanks for the help brother , I like your blade shape a lot , the curves at the handle are little too difficult with my current set up , may do something hidden tang. I suck at full tangs

8. I have a Barnett I can trace and send to you. If you wanted a profile to copy.

9. chefcomesback

Can you send me a picture please Rami, just to be clear I have no intensions of copying any knives and getting into hunting edc market , I am just trying to give someone a unique present