1. {Name}
    Welcome to the KKF!
    Please take a moment to register and stop by the New Member Check-In and say hello. We sincerely hope you enjoy your stay and the discussion of all things sharp.
    Feel free to jump right in on the conversation or make your own. We have an edge on life!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Take a look at our new AUCTION SYSTEM

This service is available to all KKFora members to both Bid on and Auction off (Sell)items.
    Dismiss Notice

How to rehandle an old workhorse

Discussion in 'Handiwork Display' started by kentos, Feb 16, 2014.

1. kentos

kentos Founding Member

image.jpg Any advice on how to rehandle and refurbish my 20 year old Masakane? It's an entry level I bought when I was a prep "chef" right out of high school for a local fish market/Hawaiian food joint.

2. PierreRodrigue

PierreRodrigue Tactical Walrus Founding Member

Simplest is to select handle materials, then drill out the pins. Refinish the blade if desired. Align the handle on the your new material and clamp. Then using the tang as a template drill your holes. If you are using straight pins, its simple. If using corby's you need to plan a little. Insert your pins through the new scales (off the knife) Shape and finish/sand/polish the front of the scales. Epoxy/pin/clamp the scales in place, remove the excess epoxy, and allow to cure. Shape the scales, and finish as desired.

3. kentos

kentos Founding Member

Thanks! I didn't figure on epoxy between the scales.

4. Jim

Jim Old Curmudgeon Founding Member

Pierre made that sound like one of those home shows where everything gets done in a half hour!

5. PierreRodrigue

About 2 hours! ;)

6. Jim

7. PierreRodrigue

Now now! Had you said Newfoundland time that would have been quite funny, and may have resulted in Screech drinking, and rock hurling!! :D

8. Jim

9. James

James smarter then your average duck Founding Member Gold Contributor

where most guys who are about to get in huge trouble or very seriously injured yell out "Oh my good", the newfoundlanders typical response,.... "Hold my beer and watch this" its a great place to get into trouble lol

10. John Fout

John Fout Founding Member

I have some old flea market knives I'm going to be redoing soon. :D Can't wait.

11. MattS

MattS Founding Member

Pierre makes it sound so easy.....

12. John Fout

John Fout Founding Member

Time and practice. Patience can help a little and knowing when to put a project down for the day helps too.

13. PierreRodrigue

Gents, if any body needs more of an explanation, or step by step guidance, feel free to PM me. I will help if I can.

14. Bill Farrell

Bill Farrell Founding Member

Indeed. "Shape the handles," he says. Well, that sounds simple...

15. Taz575

Taz575 Founding Member

It is, remove anything you don't want on the handle! LOL

16. Stumblinman

Stumblinman Founding Member

I've done a couple and its close to that simple. Gotta get in elbows deep and then things start to make sense. I'd start and then jump on that deal with pm for assistance. Can't beat e offer.

17. Taz575

Taz575 Founding Member

If you search for tutorials for making a "kit" knife, there should be some good info about rehandling a kitchen knife. A kit knife is a blank that is done up and you are adding the handle. Pretty much what you are doing once the handle is removed. A hunting or fillet knife will have a different shape/contour, but it will get you started at least!

18. Twistington

Twistington Founding Member

Do not underestimate how great rasps and files are for shaping western handles, a steady bench vise(and steady bench ofc) will take alot of the frustration away for you.

19. ThEoRy

ThEoRy Founding Member

20. bieniek

bieniek Founding Member

Listen to Dan, he can make a western handle while he's sleeping, and two more, when hes having his morning coffee.

Or was it beer? :D