1. {Name}
    Welcome to the KKF!
    Please take a moment to register and stop by the New Member Check-In and say hello. We sincerely hope you enjoy your stay and the discussion of all things sharp.
    Feel free to jump right in on the conversation or make your own. We have an edge on life!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Take a look at our new AUCTION SYSTEM

This service is available to all KKFora members to both Bid on and Auction off (Sell)items.
    Dismiss Notice

How to DIY a Radius Platen - Theory

Discussion in 'Shop Talk' started by Mark Brock, Jan 7, 2018.

1. I haven't done this yet. But it is pretty cheap to build, and I expect I will be making myself some platens using this theory.

I'm thinking I'll use standard 1/2 inch square tubing from Home Depot.
    Not sure I will need the side brace tubing, but it's probably a good idea, which means some welding or other creative attaching.

In theory you should be able to create any radius you like based on the length of the tubing you use.
    Draw and rough grind the radius squarely on your proposed platen first, which should make the actual grinding on the tube jig minimal. Just use it to true up the radius.

1. Cut out your platen to desired dimensions.
    2. Drill and tap your platen for your grinder mounts.
    3. Draw the radius you want and rough grind it flat on your grinder workrest.
    4. Attach to the jig and clean and refine the radius.
    5. Send to heat treat.
    6. Create wonderful knife bevels with your desired radius.
    This should be pretty darned cheap, and you can make as many as as varied a set of platens as you like.
    Figuring a way to move the pivot on the tube is what allows you to set the radius you like.
    It could be as simple as a pin with squarely drilled holes in the tubing.

Let me know what you think!

RP-Jig-1.jpg

2. butch

butch Founding Member

should work i made my first wood platen using a string to mark the curve then ground it to shape. more a test to see if i liked the way it ground a blade then ordered a 48" er. if i was going to play with different sizes or was looking to sell some it might be worth the build in my shop tho i think i woudl rather build a true big wheel grinder that takes belts

3. If you ever make that big wheel grinder, would you be willing to make two? :)

4. Jim

Jim Old Curmudgeon Founding Member

This is sounding like a group buy!
    ;)

5. butch

butch Founding Member

depends on if the shop i have build the wheel cuts me a deal on a 2 or 3rd wheel ;)