1. {Name}
    Welcome to the KKF!
    Please take a moment to register and stop by the New Member Check-In and say hello. We sincerely hope you enjoy your stay and the discussion of all things sharp.
    Feel free to jump right in on the conversation or make your own. We have an edge on life!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Take a look at our new AUCTION SYSTEM

This service is available to all KKFora members to both Bid on and Auction off (Sell)items.
    Dismiss Notice

How often do you write comment/reply and don't post it?

Discussion in 'The Off Topic Room' started by Anton, Mar 9, 2015.

1. Well, the title says it all. I find myself doing it almost daily. The motives are different, but the result is the same: less entropy for the forums.

2. Toothpick

Toothpick #2 since day #1 Founding Member

Anton my friend, I do this quite often! And have even asked the same question on a different forum.

I don't do it much around here though, in fact...I can't recall ever typing a reply then deleting it here. I always seem to post something.

On another forum I frequent I do it a lot. For me it's like therapy. I typically type out what I feel like saying, which in most cases adds nothing to the topic and is just a snarky reply to a numbnuts post, then I'll think twice and delete it or simply move on to another thread.

3. Yeah, sometimes whose are just snarky comments that doesn't add much value to the discussion, but pretty often my comments doesn't have anything snarky. In fact, they are exactly the opposite.
    For example, when HHH or Butch post another sexy photo of new knives I have nothing else to say, except for "WOWOWOW". Or when new users register here there's a separate thread that consists mostly of bot-looking messages… I would love to contribute something, but unless that particular new user decide to tell something about him, there's not much I can post.
    Or if someone ask a question that has been answered 1000 times on the forum already. Sometimes I compose a reply with a short answer and links to appropriate threads, but upon finishing writing I lose any interest in submitting.

4. XooMG

XooMG Founding Member

I think you're just tempting folks to not reply to this thread.

I bite my tongue all the time whenever I'm around hostile company.

5. Haburn

Haburn Founding Member

IMO, if you see a photo you enjoy, you should comment. As a maker, it's informative to know what people are "wowing" over. Even if a knife sells quickly, but nobody comments on the photos sometimes I wonder if the knife is appealing to a smaller niche. It's not that I have an issue making knives for an even smaller niche than I already do, but I am running a business and need to sell knives to continue.
    TL;DR - if you like it, say so.

6. Bill T

Bill T Founding Member

I just did it now....

7. Chuckles

Chuckles Founding Member

For me it's mostly long rambling responses that get edited down to one sentence. Or two.

8. Mrmnms

Mrmnms Founding Member Gold Contributor

i eagerly wait for you news posts Anton. Often food for thought.

9. XooMG

XooMG Founding Member

Kind of funny...I have written PMs to you two or three times to ask about some project or another and I always deleted before sending.

10. MattS

MattS Founding Member

All the time, but mostly because I view from my phone and its hard to write more than a few sentences.

11. Christopher

Christopher Founding Member

Very rarely, which is why I also spend time apologizing :)

12. JBroida

JBroida Founding Member

More often than not, this describes my daily time on the forums

13. Thanks for this perspective Ian. For at least some of us, that 'other place' has made some people apathetic. I can remember an entire rant thread ripping people for saying in effect 'nice knife, GLWS' in the BST forums.

14. James

James smarter then your average duck Founding Member Gold Contributor

lol i do this but under completely different circumstances, i usually type something and miss the send button, turn my phone back on an hour later long after the genius wise crack is relevant.... and i totally thought that's what you meant.... so i guess I'm still the only person who does that

15. chefcomesback

chefcomesback Founding Member

I find myself doing this a lot , sometimes it is due to the fact what I am going to type is obvious like a recommendation on a certain types of knife ; get tojiro , uraku etc... What i am about to say can be found with some search on google and there are many members that type faster than me.. Most of the times i am on smartphone and i get distracted , by the time i get back what i was writing is gone and etc... the other and the main reason is not much here but in few other forums there seem to be members that will do their best to highlight negative things about what you said or showed , what they said is more valid then your opinion , they can get it sharper than you etc....why should i be wasting my time ??

16. MotoMike

MotoMike Founding Member

I've done it a few times and glad I did.