1. {Name}
    Welcome to the KKF!
    Please take a moment to register and stop by the New Member Check-In and say hello. We sincerely hope you enjoy your stay and the discussion of all things sharp.
    Feel free to jump right in on the conversation or make your own. We have an edge on life!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Take a look at our new AUCTION SYSTEM

This service is available to all KKFora members to both Bid on and Auction off (Sell)items.
    Dismiss Notice

"How Did The Ancient Vikings Make This Super Strong Sword?"

Discussion in 'The Kitchen Knife' started by thedispossessed, May 29, 2015.

1. I'm a bit better than passing friends with Ric Furrer and Kevin Cashen (the bladesmiths from the NOVA special who recreated the blades). The problem with the whole story is the assumption that the swords were 'super strong' (they were simply better than the weapons made by surrounding countries at the time), and also that they were made by vikings. The Ulfbert blades have all but been proven to have been made in a Frankish monastery if I recall. The steel came from Asia, and was a cousin to crucible steel, or wootz. The vikings were simply the recipients of a number of the blades.

2. Well Cris, I certainly hope you're not offended that I didn't assume you might have the answer! Thanks for the info, enlightening as usual.
    Cheers
    Matteo

3. Not at all!! This was a really cool topic. Those swords have a unique history in the world. It would be like the French taking US materials and technology to make fighter jets to give to Scandinavia lol.

Even though they've mostly traced down the origins of the swords, no one knows who Ulfbhert even actually was, but to the vikings, those swords were nearly mystical.

4. MotoMike

MotoMike Founding Member

I recall from the Nova special, that the true Ulbfhert steel compared very favorably to modern crucible steel.

5. Yep. It was very good steel. Very high in carbon and very clean. We absolutely have the capability of making better steel today, and do...but at the time, Asiatic cultures were incredibly advanced compared to the rest of the world. The steel of these swords is just one example.

6. William Catcheside

William Catcheside Founding Member

It all very interesting, those Vikings got around you know ;)

Bit more here,

http://www.theepochtimes.com/n3/499601-mysterious-viking-sword-made-with-technology-from-the-future/

Plenty on Ric's website about his wootz historical recreations.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCxyVxfB4c2EsOUtLly7ZrYQ

I have never used wootz though could probably get a piece from Owen Bush to try, from what I understand its not suitable for kitchen knives, super tough rather than hard, but large grained at the same time. I wonder how it would stack up against D2 in the tough and toothy stakes. 0:

I would love to try and make a Crucible steel sometime, but it would be along the lines of something very clean 1.5% Carbon, Im hoping Achim Wirtz will make some more 1.5 super clean.