1. {Name}
    Welcome to the KKF!
    Please take a moment to register and stop by the New Member Check-In and say hello. We sincerely hope you enjoy your stay and the discussion of all things sharp.
    Feel free to jump right in on the conversation or make your own. We have an edge on life!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Take a look at our new AUCTION SYSTEM

This service is available to all KKFora members to both Bid on and Auction off (Sell)items.
    Dismiss Notice

honesuki or deba?

Discussion in 'The Kitchen Knife' started by roberto, Mar 19, 2014.

1. roberto

roberto Founding Member

I like to start filleting fish, but the size is maximum is about 30cm or 12inch.
    Do I need a deba or can I do it with a honesuki?I prefer a honesuki because I could use it for trimming meat too.

2. schanop

schanop Founding Member

You can fillet a fish with a honesuke, but it probably is a bit easier to get a clean fillet Japanese style with a deba.
    Its curved and big bevel helps making a clean cut and getting close to the bone. A honesuki generally has a much straighter edge than a typical deba.

3. EdipisReks

EdipisReks The Picasso of Creepiness Founding Member

These are very different kinds of knives. Get both. A Gesshin Uraku 180 isn't all that expensive (I'd definitely spend the extra money on the Gesshin over the equivalent Yoshihiro, as Yoshihiro's less expensive knives often have major issues: ask me how I know), and a deba is going to be a lot better for fish than a knife made for fowl.

4. ThEoRy

ThEoRy Founding Member

Honesuki for fish is worse than deba for chicken.

5. roberto

roberto Founding Member

for this size of fish what size you think I need?

6. schanop

schanop Founding Member

A 165mm deba would be plenty for a fish under 30cm. Probably can get away with a 150 or even a 135.

7. Jay

Jay No soup for you Founding Member

I think a honesuki is great for meat and chicken, not so good for fish.

8. ThEoRy

ThEoRy Founding Member

165-180mm

9. roberto

roberto Founding Member

ok can start my look for a deba