1. {Name}
    Welcome to the KKF!
    Please take a moment to register and stop by the New Member Check-In and say hello. We sincerely hope you enjoy your stay and the discussion of all things sharp.
    Feel free to jump right in on the conversation or make your own. We have an edge on life!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Take a look at our new AUCTION SYSTEM

This service is available to all KKFora members to both Bid on and Auction off (Sell)items.
    Dismiss Notice

History Channel's Forged in Fire

Discussion in 'The Off Topic Room' started by Toothpick, Jul 25, 2015.

1. Toothpick

Toothpick #2 since day #1 Founding Member

Anyone here watching this?

That might be a rhetorical question....

How do ya'll feel about this show? Think it is bringing in new customers?
    Introducing new people to the custom knife world?

2. butch

butch Founding Member

first 2 were not as good as the 3rd and 4th im looking forward to this weeks cause i want to see what J D Smith does (its fun watching guys you have met and talk to now and then duke it out )

3. Lefty

Lefty Founding Member

Yeah, I wish I could watch. I haven't been able to, up here in the Great White North (We're South of a lot of the US, by the way... just sayin'). Between Mareko, Matt Parkinson, Jonathan Porter, and I heard Murray Carter, the smiths are pretty damned impressive.

4. I agree with you @butch. The second and third we're much better. Since this is a new series that isn't your usual run of the mill competition show,I think the production company is still working out kinks and adapting feedback in real time and applying it to the newest episodes. I look forward to seeing JD Smith duke it out too. Here's a preview from History's YouTube page:

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 26, 2015
  5. Taylor

Taylor Professional Craftsman Founding Member

I've had a lot of fun watching the show. Also looking forward to watching JD Smith, and then the rest of the episodes. I'll second Butch that it's fun watching people you've met in person.

6. They actually invited me to be on the show, but I declined. Very interesting concept though, and like the others have said, I know half the guys who've been in it lol....which makes it really fun.

I know a lot of my bladesmithing friends have said they've had a flood of 'hey, can you make me this knife for $150? I mean...those guys on Forged in Fire can make them in 3hrs, how long could it take you?!'. A few of the competitors I know really well have mentioned that their own similar type requests have gone up exponentially...which is part of why I declined to be on it, lol.

7. Sorry about the double video post BTWs Still new here.

8. MattS

MattS Founding Member

Its cool, just means double the fun.

9. Toothpick

That's an interesting dynamic brought forth by the show and it's popularity. I just assume that under normal circumstances none of these guys would make a knife in 3 hours and offer it for sale.

10. butch

butch Founding Member

even a simple steel to get a good and proper heat treat can start at 3 hours of time when i do cts xhp it is 2 hours ttill quench then over night in LN then 2x 2hours at 400f so 6 hours in the kiln and 12 in -300f . that counts no work at all jsut kiln time

11. But...you my friend have common sense, lol. I was asked today to make a 5 in 1 knife, spatula, bread knife, chef's knife, fork, and something else I don't remember. I told him that even if I were to take on the project...the cost would be very, very prohibitive. He responded with 'What, like over $500??'.

Mhmm...just a little.

Absolutely Butch. Even with W2, I have as much as 6hrs from initial thermal cycling to tempering, then straightening cycles if necessary, and that's if the first heat treat goes well (meaning I don't have to repeat) on the first shot. Cryo and post temper treatments are unnecessary of course, but even so...3hrs isn't even close to reasonable unless they want a glorified prison shiv, lol.

12. Toothpick

:er That's crazy

13. Lucretia

Lucretia Founding Member

A swiss army chef's knife?

14. Anyone from Europe who's found this? We seem to have a different schedule as well.

15. MotoMike

MotoMike Founding Member

I've watched it a few times and enjoyed it. Clearly follows the "Chopped" format.

16. Interesting. Amazon offers to sell it to me. Now get to trust them :). They almost managed to sell me a Prime subscription, even though it is of no use here...