1. {Name}
    Welcome to the KKF!
    Please take a moment to register and stop by the New Member Check-In and say hello. We sincerely hope you enjoy your stay and the discussion of all things sharp.
    Feel free to jump right in on the conversation or make your own. We have an edge on life!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Take a look at our new AUCTION SYSTEM

This service is available to all KKFora members to both Bid on and Auction off (Sell)items.
    Dismiss Notice

Help a newbie with Tip issues

Discussion in 'The Kitchen Knife' started by FinnEdge, Oct 10, 2015.

1. I have only just started hand sharpening and wish to correct my rookie mistakes as quickly as possible (only third try)
    Having issues with keeping a uniform edge/bevel at the tip while sharpening. Any pointers and assistance greatly appreciated!!

As you can see in the photos I'm using a sacrificial knife for the purpose of learning.
    Oh god I can hear the sighs....yes it's a....cough..Global:eek:

P1010340.JPG

What a mess:(
    P1010335.JPG

This sides a bit better, just.

On a bright side I'm fairly happy overall, it does shave the arm.

2. The way I taught myself was to use my thumb above the heel (on the spine of course), and one above mid blade or so...as an angle guide of sorts...and only use stropping motions (edge trailing) initially. Once I got that down...I started practicing scrubbing strokes (edge leading, then trailing). My angle control was much better than initially when I tried. Eventually it ot to a point where I was equally capable of both types.

3. Jon from Japanese Knife Imports has a great series of sharpening videos. Here is one that he discusses specifically sharpening the tip.

4. Spaz

Spaz Founding Member

Your stopping short of the tip and the bevel widens at the tip because your angle is to low. Two things, you need to raise the back of the knife a little more going through the curve at the tip and follow through with the stroke a little more.

Something that might help..... http://sharpener-pete.blogspot.com/2015/07/tip-sharpening-video.html

5. Jeffery Hunter

Jeffery Hunter Founding Member

6. Thank you all for the great info and video links, most helpful and appreciated!!
    Just a sh#tload more practice, practice, practice

7. Thank you, thank you, thank you to all of you for the assistance and info!!!!
    By no means perfect but I 'got it' Tried it out on a different knife and the results are much better. :)