1. {Name}
    Welcome to the KKF!
    Please take a moment to register and stop by the New Member Check-In and say hello. We sincerely hope you enjoy your stay and the discussion of all things sharp.
    Feel free to jump right in on the conversation or make your own. We have an edge on life!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Take a look at our new AUCTION SYSTEM

This service is available to all KKFora members to both Bid on and Auction off (Sell)items.
    Dismiss Notice

Harry Potter fans? Anyone?

Discussion in 'The Off Topic Room' started by Anton, Sep 20, 2015.

1. I never knew I'd would find myself as a fan of fantasy books, but that's exactly what happened once I got books about Harry Potter. Later there were tons of other fantasy, but those were the one's that sparked my interest. So when I accidentally stumbled upon "Harry Potter and methods of rationality" I was a bit reluctant… I mean how could some fun fiction even dare to parasite on HP books? Anyway I started reading.

And could stop myself until it was finished. I happened to spend most of my free time during past 7-10 days reading that damn book. And I though that I'm a fast reader… well, it turns out my English skills weren't up there to freely read that book, so I have to consult dictionary pretty often (even though I hadn't much difficulties reading original books by Rowling).

Since it was an ebook and I read it from phone (which was the first and hopefully last ebook that I've read on phone), I had little idea about the size of it. Well, I knew it's big, but I wanted to get idea, how it would look like when printed. Here's a picture:

[​IMG]

that's single book, so don't be fooled by separate tomes. That kinda explained why it took me so long to read.
    By anyway, I can confess I love this book. It's what HP should have been from the very beginning. Now I tempted to read something similar… "Lord of the Rings and methods of rationality" maybe?

What's your take on HP books? Have you read any of them? Do you even care? :)

2. I am a massive fan. I am sort of hesitant to admit I read the entire series every couple of years just to get my fix.

And then watch the movies in between

3. Toothpick

Toothpick #2 since day #1 Founding Member

I've been trying to finish Book 4 for about 6 years. I've watched the moves up until the very last one I think.

I really enjoyed the books.

What is different about this one?

4. This book speculates on how things might evolve if Harry were an intelligent prodigy rather than just a ordinary 11 years old boy. So although you'd stumble upon all the common names from original book, the plot is completely different. If you can imagine all 7 original books compressed into one book, than you could get an idea of how intense the plot is.

5. Toothpick

No wonder why you couldn't put it down! I really enjoyed the HP books I read. I just can't find the time now. But one day I'm going to finish them. Worst part is I own physical copies of them!

6. Rick

Rick aka Pensacola Tiger Founding Member Gold Contributor

Anton, thanks for sharing your discovery. I'm a fan of J K Rowling's series, read all the books and watched all the movies. For those interested, the book Anton is posting about is fan fiction, not something written by the author of the series. Here is a link to the page where you can download the book(s): http://hpmor.com. Note that this is a free download, and does not infringe on Ms Rowling's intellectual property, as it is a parody of the original work.

7. Toothpick

8. Thanks, Rick!
    somehow I managed to completely miss to point all those important things myself :fp2

It's better to read at least first part of original book in order to understand who are main characters and what's happening. That would also help in understanding some humorous remarks in the HPMOR book. But otherwise it's pretty safe to read HPMOR even without finishing reading the original series, as there will be no spoilers or anything. The stories are completely different, so you might still enjoy finishing reading original series some day later.

Last edited: Sep 20, 2015
  9. Anton, Thanks for the introduction to HPMOR. It had me laughing out loud in short order and wondering how much of this weekend will be lost as I have been pulled into it like a black hole. -Doug

10. Lucretia

Lucretia Founding Member

I'll have to see if I can get it on my reader. I'm using a non-standard reader with a non-standard operation system and haven't had the time to sit down and work through how to download from the library with all its licensing nonsense. They're primarily set up for Kindle and Windows. Bah humbug.

I particularly liked the first Harry Potter as a standalone.

11. You are probably already aware, but just in case you didn't, there an desktop program Calibre that runs on Win/Linux/OSX and can convert e-books from any format to any.

12. Lucretia

Lucretia Founding Member

Yeah, I have Calibre. The problem is the library wants me to use ADE to check out e-books, and Adobe doesn't have a linux version. So there's the whole mess of getting a emulator to run ADE so I can get the book and use Calibre to sent it to my reader. Or I can get lazy and try using the husband's mac since it is supported. Thanks for the link, tho.