1. {Name}
    Welcome to the KKF!
    Please take a moment to register and stop by the New Member Check-In and say hello. We sincerely hope you enjoy your stay and the discussion of all things sharp.
    Feel free to jump right in on the conversation or make your own. We have an edge on life!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Take a look at our new AUCTION SYSTEM

This service is available to all KKFora members to both Bid on and Auction off (Sell)items.
    Dismiss Notice

Happy Chinese New Year

Discussion in 'The Off Topic Room' started by XooMG, Feb 18, 2015.

1. XooMG

XooMG Founding Member

新年快樂,萬事如意!
    Not a big holiday for most members here probably...but hope everyone has a safe and enjoyable Chinese New Year.

2. Jay

Jay No soup for you Founding Member

So it's settled- Chinese for lunch!

3. Wagner the Wehrwolf

Wagner the Wehrwolf Founding Member

Goat!

One of the tastiest years. :D:p:D

4. schanop

schanop Founding Member

Kung Hei Fat Choi, it's official where I am now ..

5. daveb

daveb Founding Member

I belong to a food group that takes on different international cuisines every month. One of the other organizers is of Chinese heritage and she has set up the below celebration dinner for the group on Sunday. We have 35 attending and a waiting list. I've been "assigned" a Pork Belly course and Fried Rice course. I learned from her that Fried Rice is always the last dish served so that people don't fill up on rice and can better enjoy the earlier courses. (She has also set up a more formal dinner at a local Chinese Restaurant for Thurs evening that I enjoy being invited to every year)

XooMG please comment and let me know what you think. Especially if I can needle her about something she's got wrong:cool:

Chinese New Year 2015 is the year of the goat, those born in years 1931, 1943, 1955, 1967, 1979, 1991, 2003, and 2015. You are gentle and mild mannered, shy, stable, sympathetic, amicable, and brimming with a strong sense of kindheartedness and justice. Nice attributes for a friend...wow, who is a Goat??
    There are lots of traditional foods eaten in celebration of Chinese New Year. Since I am 2nd generation Chinese born in the USA, I mostly eat what I like with only the traditional foods that I remember. and mostly have read about the New Year significances. I always have sliced oranges for dessert, and roast duck or Peking duck with steamed buns, pass out red envelopes of lucky money to unmarried relatives and children, but other than that, for me, it's a menu of favorite foods, in abundance.

Some of the traditions are eating dishes with long noodles, representing long life, steamed whole fish but don't eat it all, representing prosperity, and eating fried spring rolls, because they resemble gold bars.

Here's my menu we will joyously share:

Duck Bone Soup-rich duck broth with Chinese cabbage, bean thread, and country ham

Boneless Chinese Roast Duck with steamed buns, scallion brushes, and hoisin sauce (very similar to Peking Duck)

Shrimp with Lobster sauce-Jumbo shrimp with a ground pork and egg sauce...(no lobster, but sauce is from a dish called Lobster Cantonese)

Dave's Pork belly glazed with heavenly hoisin type sauce. (yes, heavenly, if the pork belly isn't heavenly enough)

Lita's Special Fried Rice- Jasmine rice, shrimp, Chinese sausage, ham, egg, peas, tomato, onion (Only my special fried rice if Dave executes it right, insert smiley face here)

Szechuan Spicy Pork and Eggplant-Stir fried spicy ground pork and Chinese Eggplant

Beef Chow Fun with Black Beans sauce- Flank steak stir fried with fermented black bean sauce and red and green peppers

White cooked Chicken Breast-Poached chicken breasts sliced served with scallion ginger oil

Stir Fried Vegetables- Snow Pea pods, carrots, celery, onion, baby corn, straw mushrooms

Desserts

Lychee with almond jelly and cherries

Sliced Pumelos and oranges

You will need to come hungry! Hope to celebrate with you!

6. JBroida

JBroida Founding Member

awesome time of year for food.... happy chinese new year

7. Andre

Andre Founding Member

I'm hitting the Tet celebration in the East on Sunday. I cannot wait.

8. Toothpick

Toothpick #2 since day #1 Founding Member

9. Lucretia

Lucretia Founding Member

Happy New Year!

10. cclin

cclin Founding Member

[​IMG]

Happy New Year!

11. XooMG

XooMG Founding Member

[​IMG]

Oh, 2015.

12. Mrmnms

Mrmnms Founding Member Gold Contributor

Happy Year, great shot! ( I wish I was eating with Dave)