1. {Name}
    Welcome to the KKF!
    Please take a moment to register and stop by the New Member Check-In and say hello. We sincerely hope you enjoy your stay and the discussion of all things sharp.
    Feel free to jump right in on the conversation or make your own. We have an edge on life!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Take a look at our new AUCTION SYSTEM

This service is available to all KKFora members to both Bid on and Auction off (Sell)items.
    Dismiss Notice

Gyuto length

Discussion in 'The Kitchen Knife' started by MotoMike, Mar 7, 2014.

1. MotoMike

MotoMike Founding Member

Looking at the offerings, I find very few in the 180mm, 190mm range and many in the 210,240 and some out to 300 or possibly longer.

To me the 180 seems like a good size. I have however, not seen any of you with the shortest gyutos? Why is it not popular? What is the advantage of the longer sizes? If I get a 180 will I soon outgrow it and find my gyuto lacking? 180 is longer than most of the knives I currently have with the exception of a couple old carving knives.

2. Jim

Jim Old Curmudgeon Founding Member

Mike there is no wrong answer here, a lot depends on how you hold your knife. If you use the pinch grip you are effectively shorting the real estate needed to use it.
    If you hold it like a fishing pole then shorter may be enough for you. If you are transitioning from a German style knife the lighter weight will make a Japanese style knife seem "smaller" I cannot really say a reasonably larger knife is a disadvantage if you have a normal amount of room to use it. I use 270's as my base knife. BTW many knives are a bit shorter than listed.

3. MotoMike

MotoMike Founding Member

I would say Jim that on the knives like my nakiri, santoku and western chefs knife I really feel comfortable with the pinch grip but I don't think any are longer than 180. On those without much blade height, I use the "fishing pole" grip you describe. But the santoku is a Henkels and it really is a heavy knife that I think has the shape but does not embody the principles embraced by Japanese makers. Years ago I got a Gerber set and after a couple of years realized that several were not getting any use and I moved them to deep storage. They were the long chefs knives and a couple others. But I think what I'm hearing is to get a 180 and a 210, and a 240 and see how that goes. (At least that is what I think I'm hearing;))
    Thanks Jim

4. apathetic

apathetic Founding Member

Ideally you would want to try all sizes to see what's the most comfortable for you. I was using a cheap 200mm blade knife from the local outlet before doing my knife research, I jumped directly to 270mm from there and it felt very natural and comfortable for me. Since then it's been my standard. It all boils down to what feels the most natural to you

Edit: was writing before seeing your post, but yes the advice is still the same: try all sizes and go with what feels best :)

5. Bill Farrell

Bill Farrell Founding Member

I would add: try different sizes for a while. I generally don't like knives over 240, but if I play around with a 270 for a while, a 210 seems mighty short. There's definitely a context effect.

6. WildBoar

WildBoar Founding Member Contributor

I recommend you put out a request to borrow some gyutos in different lengths. Maybe there are some forum members who live near you and would be willing to let you borrow knives to play with for a few days at a pop. You really need to spend a little time with each length to get used to it and see if you like it. I started with 180 'chef knives' but gambled and went with a 210 for my first j-knife. It quickly became apparent I could make the jump to 240 and still have better control than I had with the super heavy Wusthoff. And going with the 240 made onion slicing and dicing go much quicker. Now I usually reach for the gyutos that are between 240 and 255.

7. MotoMike

MotoMike Founding Member

Thanks guys. your experience is very much appreciated.

8. ThEoRy

ThEoRy Founding Member

180? If you only have a 12" cutting board I suppose...:p

9. MattS

MattS Founding Member

Alot of knives from Carter are near that length, nothing wrong with it. When I left the restaurant biz I dropped from a 270 to a 220 and dont really see myself going back to a 270 for home use. I am starting to enjoy the smaller sizes.

10. Jeffery Hunter

Jeffery Hunter Founding Member

I think the geometry of the gyuto can shorten the working space even more leaving not much cutting room on a 180

11. bieniek

bieniek Founding Member

Very same here Kalaeb. Just when I had everything in the 27 sixe and thought thats the way, I got back to cooking at home. And here, in a kitchen way smaller than pro, 21cm already feels like a giant.
    But if coming back to a pro environment, I would be back with at least 24.

12. John Fout

John Fout Founding Member

To each their own. Ex wife liked a 180 a lot more than a 240. Current girlfriend likes a 210... if she ever cooks for me (which I know she can because she caters for a living...)

I grab for what I'm cutting or if I'm trying out an edge. :D

13. stevenStefano

stevenStefano Founding Member

Use a 270 in work all the time and I like it the best, used to use 240s but sold them all as soon as I tried a 270

14. MotoMike

MotoMike Founding Member

Ordered a Tojiro DP damascus 180. I know, I know...