1. {Name}
    Welcome to the KKF!
    Please take a moment to register and stop by the New Member Check-In and say hello. We sincerely hope you enjoy your stay and the discussion of all things sharp.
    Feel free to jump right in on the conversation or make your own. We have an edge on life!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Take a look at our new AUCTION SYSTEM

This service is available to all KKFora members to both Bid on and Auction off (Sell)items.
    Dismiss Notice

grill tools

Discussion in 'Food and Drink' started by MotoMike, Apr 22, 2014.

1. MotoMike

MotoMike Founding Member

I am looking to upgrade my spatula and tongs. What do you all like in these bbq tools? Should I be considering something else or in addition to these? I'll be using them on a 22.5 inch Weber.

thanks
    Mike

2. Jim

Jim Old Curmudgeon Founding Member

I like stainless steel with dishwasher safe handles but could not point to a particular brand.

3. daveb

daveb Founding Member

Don't like to admit this in public forum but my favorite spat is from "pampered chef". Stainless, doesn't flex under load. long enough to keep you out of the fire. Tried a bunch, some are ok, this one is a keeper.

I like the "Rosle" tongs enough that I bought one (16"?) for the grill. Can pick up pork butts, brisket, tenderloins, one handed, all without fear of dropping them.

4. Jim

Jim Old Curmudgeon Founding Member

Yep that's tha brand Dave mentioned Rosel. A little pricey but lasts a long time.

5. EdipisReks

EdipisReks The Picasso of Creepiness Founding Member

Honestly, I just use the same stuff that I use in my kitchen. I have six or seven pairs of tongs (including the magnetic Rosle tongs, which I don't use much because they open on their own fairly often) that I like, I just grab whatever. I have a variety of spatulas and turners, I just use that ever is most appropriate for the food. I also use and love a Weber 22.5: it's not a huge grill, so it doesn't need anything special.

6. zwiefel

zwiefel Rest in peace brother

tongs: buy the hinged variety, not the bent kind. Also make sure you can engage/disengage the locking mechanism with one hand (I like gravity-fed versions).

spatula: don't use it much, but I think a longer handle, thin + tapered food surface is ideal....some flex is good, but needs to be able to support the product weights you will deal with....I really only use this for fish.

7. I rarely use a spatula. I use a very long set of tongs....I can post a pic when I return from travel. Avoid the wood handled tongs...too heavy for hours at the grill. And a good set of tongs will turn anything a spatula can.

8. butch

butch Founding Member

i have the flipper my grandma had (carbon steel and wood handle )but need a good and proper set of tongs. i hardly ever need a meat fork

9. MotoMike

MotoMike Founding Member

Thanks guys lots to think about. I use the spatula for burgers and fish. Though for fish, I've been thinking of getting a basket so that I can turn the basket and not fiddle with the fish and the attendant falling apart that comes with it. Those rosel tongs look the ticket.

10. schanop

schanop Founding Member

One nice gadget for fish on a BBQ is a teflon grill sheet.

11. MotoMike

MotoMike Founding Member

Do tell:)

12. schanop

schanop Founding Member

Something along this line:

[​IMG]

For grilled fish and seafood, you can still get some nice grill mark, but they won't stick on the grate as badly.

13. schanop

schanop Founding Member

Here's my dinner tonight, griddle grilled swordfish with teflon sheet for stick prevention. Same idea applies on a barbie, but it's getting cold down here.

[​IMG]

14. If you can't find those teflon grill sheets look for a teflon oven liner. Best I can tell they are the same thing in different packages.

The carbon steel grill grates are nice too. Available in plain (seasonable) steel or enamel coated. You get a bit more sear and smoke flavor because of the open areas.

[​IMG]

15. MotoMike

MotoMike Founding Member

Thanks,

I had never seen those before. Are they disposable?

16. Most are a woven fiberglass base material. Some are teflon coated and some silicone coated. The silicone ones are more flexible but thicker. You can trim the teflon ones to whatever size you want. They do not recommend cutting the silicone ones. The teflon ones are less expensive than the silicone sheets.

Teflon ones are usually rated as heat safe to 500°F. Silicone ones slightly lower at 482.

Both are listed as reusable thousands of times.

My favorite is a 13 by 17 inch teflon type made by a Chicago company named Kitchen Supply. Their brand name is Super Parchment. The silicone ones are most often called Silpat, athough that is in fact a brand name.

Nancy

17. zwiefel

zwiefel Rest in peace brother

I use a non-stick grill basket for fish...that way I can remove the fish from the heat and take as long as needed to gently turn it. Also good for veggies :)

18. MotoMike

MotoMike Founding Member

Thanks again everyone.

Schanop and Nancy, that heat limitation might be a problem. The non stick quality of those teflon sheets is appealing but I like to use a very hot grill on the fish in an effort to get a good sear without over cooking.

Zwiefel, the grill basket is what I was leaning towards for fish. Which one do you use. I want one that allows you to close it without the grill sinking into the fish as some seem to be tensioned and I see that as causing it to stick or cut into the fish while cooking. I see few options unless I search under rotisserie basket where I find several that would work sans spit.

M

19. Grilling baskets give me Goldilocks syndrome.

Now I mostly cook fish in one of the stovetop smokers. If I cook over live fire I use a well seasoned cast iron skillet or griddle.

Nancy

20. mr drinky

mr drinky Founding Member Gold Contributor

I like my Oxo tongs but don't really care for the Rosle ones which I also own. Just like the oxo better, and I can mange both with one hand even though the locking mechanisms are different. With that said, they are both good tools.

Btw, I will just give a shout out to two other grilling products that I like to use. I like the tool wizard grill scraper for cleaning the grill grate, and I also use wood chips for smoking from Maine Grilling Woods. Recently I have been using North Atlantic Olive and absolutely love the smokey flavor and aroma it gives off.

karring