1. {Name}
    Welcome to the KKF!
    Please take a moment to register and stop by the New Member Check-In and say hello. We sincerely hope you enjoy your stay and the discussion of all things sharp.
    Feel free to jump right in on the conversation or make your own. We have an edge on life!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Take a look at our new AUCTION SYSTEM

This service is available to all KKFora members to both Bid on and Auction off (Sell)items.
    Dismiss Notice

Grill question - Possible Sacriledge?

Discussion in 'The Off Topic Room' started by Wagner the Wehrwolf, Apr 16, 2016.

1. Wagner the Wehrwolf

Wagner the Wehrwolf Founding Member

We've moved into a rental and I don't have a grill any more :( We don't have a lot of room and I don't want to make a huge investment at this point in time either. I can easily find a propane or gas grill to fit my needs at any hardware store. But... what about infrared? Any one have any experience? I have one friend who bought one. She's got culinary chops and says it's the best grill she's ever owned and would never buy anything else. So I'm looking for another data point. Thanks!

2. John Fout

John Fout Founding Member

Just a different type of propane burner. Mallaird reaction still occurs.

My gas grill has one on the side and it's great for a Med rare or rate steak. But... I haven't bought fuel in over a year. If I'm not smoking it it is going in xast iron. Personal preference right now.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

3. butch

butch Founding Member

i wantto knoew what max temp is on those fance IR grills

4. MotoMike

MotoMike Founding Member

Last couple of gas grills I've owned didn't get hot enough. I've tried many brands, some good and none seem to last. I finally went back to weber and have grilled more in the last two years than the previous 20 put together. What about a Smokey Joe?

5. Wagner the Wehrwolf

Wagner the Wehrwolf Founding Member

I read 550. I don't know how true that is. I remember Steve Raichlen saying that he doesn't like propane because it didn't get hot enough. I always ran propane at max dial settings, where you turn to light. It they would peg the in lid thermometer somewhere past 600, so I never thought that was a problem.

As John said, the heat source doesn't really matter. I was just curious if anyone else had hands on experience. I've got my friend's plus Lowe's reviews which means I've just got my friend's :p

6. butch

butch Founding Member

i can peg my weber gas grill im debating rebuild it needs the heat spreader Vs and coudl use a new grill surface

7. Infrared plates are nice. The huge advantage really even heat and no flare ups. Cleaning the plates is more work then a normal grill but not that difficult and they can break. I used them in a professional kitchen for ten years and they really take a beating plus when they break they don't usually shatter just crack in half or corners break off. They are really nice particularly for fish imo.
    oh the infrared plates can warp too but its only an issue if it warps so bad it lifts the grill grates and then its only a matter of time before it breaks anyway.
    To the question of how hot... I'm not really sure how hot it can go because it always seemed to dangerous to turn it all the way up but my guess is easily 700-800 without a lid on the grill some rep told us it could hit 900. It was both too hot to cook on and pretty silly to stand next too. I'm sure home grills don't get the same top temperature as commercial grills but really there is not much need of getting that hot.

8. I will add I personally love cooking over a wood fire and sometimes charcoal but there are a lot of reasons to pick infrared over a normal gas grill having used all three in a busy professional environment. well I guess that is four types but whatever.

9. Lucretia

Lucretia Founding Member

If you want really small and cheap, I confess that I love my Lodge cast iron grill pan because it's just so darned convenient.