1. {Name}
    Welcome to the KKF!
    Please take a moment to register and stop by the New Member Check-In and say hello. We sincerely hope you enjoy your stay and the discussion of all things sharp.
    Feel free to jump right in on the conversation or make your own. We have an edge on life!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Take a look at our new AUCTION SYSTEM

This service is available to all KKFora members to both Bid on and Auction off (Sell)items.
    Dismiss Notice

getting creative with Renaissance wax?

Discussion in 'The Kitchen Knife' started by ambroselehner, Jan 13, 2021.

1. I have a couple of rarely used collections apart from my daily knives. I used to oil them with mineral oil on a monthly basis but I would appreciate something more convenient.
    I have read about some mixed info on Renaissance wax - while most people say it can last a long time, I have also come across couple of reviews about rust after applying Ren wax.
    I think one explanation is that wax can be porous when applied thin or unevenly. Therefore, I wonder whether it would be a better idea to oil the knives first and then apply the Ren wax? Does this mean that the oil-wax barrier can both prevent rust and last a long time?

2. kentos

kentos Founding Member

I use Ren wax on my briar pipes with good results. Never tried it on metal but I would think it would do well as it is used in museums and such. My thoughts are that the metal to be protected should be dry and free of contaminants before waxing. The Ren wax uses petroleum based solvents as a carrier to the wax so I don’t think applying it after oil will be much benefit.

Knives sharpened on relatively coarse stones like a 1000 tend to trap moisture and debris in the scratch pattern and rust more easily if not taken care of well. I suspect this might be the case where the Ren wax failed cause it was applied over trapped moisture debris etc. YMMV.