1. {Name}
    Welcome to the KKF!
    Please take a moment to register and stop by the New Member Check-In and say hello. We sincerely hope you enjoy your stay and the discussion of all things sharp.
    Feel free to jump right in on the conversation or make your own. We have an edge on life!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Take a look at our new AUCTION SYSTEM

This service is available to all KKFora members to both Bid on and Auction off (Sell)items.
    Dismiss Notice

Fresh work from Don Nguyen

Discussion in 'Maumasi Fire Arts' started by Mareko Maumasi, Jan 10, 2017.

1. The guys a beast! I was awesomely fortunate to meet Don at Blade Show down in ATL last June. It was my first chance gettin to put my grubby mitts all over one of his knives!
    They're amazingly beautiful and crafted with some of the best skill and eye for fit and finish that I've been fortunate to see. The blade was an absolute beauty, but really blew me away about the piece was his handle work!

IMG_3326.JPG
    This is an example of some recently finished work of his. Thant hamon!! If you look close enough you'll see that the handle features a hidden tang construction, which isn't unheard of from him, but not very common at all. The handle is sculpted fro carbon fiber and features a carbon fiber ferrule. Another note to make is that the tribulations facet on faces of the handle terminate near the center of the handle mass vs his usual of bringing it all the way back to the pommel of the handle. While subtly different, still very much Don's distinctly unique take on the Japanese handle.

Love his work and can't wait to see more from him. Here's some more from this past year.
    IMG_3313.JPG IMG_3329.JPG IMG_3331.JPG IMG_3330.JPG IMG_3328.JPG IMG_3327.JPG

Best,
    Mareko

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. cheflarge

cheflarge Founding Member

Albeit well deserved....... quit the compliment coming from you Mareko..... love seeing this kinda stuff, props to all!!! :cool1 :pop :cool1

3. Toothpick

Toothpick #2 since day #1 Founding Member