1. {Name}
    Welcome to the KKF!
    Please take a moment to register and stop by the New Member Check-In and say hello. We sincerely hope you enjoy your stay and the discussion of all things sharp.
    Feel free to jump right in on the conversation or make your own. We have an edge on life!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Take a look at our new AUCTION SYSTEM

This service is available to all KKFora members to both Bid on and Auction off (Sell)items.
    Dismiss Notice

Forgecraft mods

Discussion in 'Handiwork Display' started by BathonUk, Mar 25, 2014.

1. BathonUk

BathonUk Founding Member

I spent some time with Forgecraft. Mainly I thinn it a lot, etch it, polish blade road to mirror finish, make the choil bigger and rounded it as well as the spine.

Before:
    [​IMG] #

After:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Before:

[​IMG]

After:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I was surprised that it was so hard to mirror polish it. It is still not perfect. Steel is very soft and gets those micro scratches super fast and you can notice that even after drying it with towel:(

2. Twistington

Twistington Founding Member

I had plans on doing the same thing with my forgecraft about 1-2 years ago... after some hours I just stopped and did something else. :p

3. apathetic

apathetic Founding Member

That is very impressive! How long did it take you?

4. XooMG

XooMG Founding Member

Should mirror the last image to make the joke of your shirt's reflection. Looks pretty good, in my opinion. I like the texture on the initial blade but it's a real shame if it is too thick.

5. Jim

Jim Old Curmudgeon Founding Member

6. cheflarge

cheflarge Founding Member

Very nice! A little concerned you might be loosing some of the "vintage" look.

7. brainsausage

brainsausage Founding Member

Did you thin entirely by hand, or was there some belts involved with this?

8. EdipisReks

EdipisReks The Picasso of Creepiness Founding Member

Boy, you weren't kidding when you said you thinned it a lot! I hope there was a belt involved, my right thumb hurts just looking at that, otherwise.

9. BathonUk

BathonUk Founding Member

Thanks guys. I thinned it all by hand. Atoma 140, JNS 300 when convexing and sanding paper. It wasn't that bad to be honest. However I had many problems with mirror polish. First of all after thinning I etched the whole blade, masked the top part and started polishing bevels. I wanted to do as much as possible on the stones but on the right side, near heel, there was low spot near ''shinogi'' which I couldn't reach. This is why I left JNS 300 finish and then sand it with sanding paper. I was doing that 3 times and results were crappy. After first time I noticed that there are some micro marks from etching. Then I sand it again and again. I will tell you one thing. I really don't know why but I couldn't make perfect mirror polish, perfect flat surface. It doesn't look good when you look at it from close distance. Also it is very soft and it is getting scratches even after proper drying with towel. Maybe it is only my imagination but this is what I noticed. Definitely not worth the work I put in.

10. brainsausage

I've had the same experience with my Forge mod that Mike Henry did for me a couple years back. The more you polish, the worse it gets...

11. John Fout

John Fout Founding Member

I have one on the bench ready for scales. It is going to be my girlfriend's knife. Her first carbon. It is getting some blue dyed buckeye scales with brass liners and pins. I need to finish it. I'm tired of not working on it!

12. Bill Farrell

Bill Farrell Founding Member

I too have noticed that drying knives with a towel can leave scratches---doesn't even have to be a mirror finish. What are they putting in towels these days?

Great thinning, by the way.

13. chefcomesback

chefcomesback Founding Member

Looks great

14. BathonUk

BathonUk Founding Member

Thanks guys. Maybe next time I will do nice satin on it.

15. Chuckles

Chuckles Founding Member

I am very interested to see how well the edge holds up. I am working a similar project and have been hesitant to take it that thin on the softer steel. Let us know it does!

16. BathonUk

BathonUk Founding Member

I really can't answer that because it's not mine knife. I think that even if it will be able to hold edge for only few days then it won't be bad. I don't mind sharpen regulary. This is something I really enjoy. Also this is not a knife in pro kitchen.

17. brainsausage

From what I understand it really depends on what generation forge it is. You can tell by the styling of the lettering in the 'Forgecraft' stamp. Son knows waaaaaay more about this that I, or probably most other people do.

18. MotoMike

MotoMike Founding Member

There is something about those Forgecrafts that seem special to me. Now more so.

19. BathonUk

BathonUk Founding Member

I just found that picture. Can you say something about it?
    [​IMG]