1. {Name}
    Welcome to the KKF!
    Please take a moment to register and stop by the New Member Check-In and say hello. We sincerely hope you enjoy your stay and the discussion of all things sharp.
    Feel free to jump right in on the conversation or make your own. We have an edge on life!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Take a look at our new AUCTION SYSTEM

This service is available to all KKFora members to both Bid on and Auction off (Sell)items.
    Dismiss Notice

For Sale - 240mm Martell Yo-Gyuto CPM-154

Discussion in 'JapaneseKnifeSharpening / Dave Martell Knives' started by Dave Martell, Oct 23, 2015.

1. Dave Martell

Dave Martell Professional Craftsman Founding Member

Stats

Length - 240mmHeight (at heel) - 55mm

Steel - CPM-154 (powdered stainless)

Hardness - Rc61-62

Handle Style - Western

Handle Materials - Dyed Spalted Maple Burl, nickel silver bolster (soldered!), nickel silver/G10 spacers, with a mosaic pin

The dyed maple used is flat out crazy looking and that's mostly because it's spalted (look it up) and with this comes a less stable wood that has some surface imperfections. I don't expect any issues with this handle because it was stabilized by K&G but being what it is (spalted wood) you will want to consider this factor before purchase. Also, the handle is slightly thinner in width than I normally make , please see pictures below.

Nickel silver bolster is soldered on for a solid fit with a clean look. I found that it's not as easy to solder to stainless as it is carbon steels. This gave me some fits but in the end it got done and I'm happy for having pressed forward when I wanted to turn back.

This steel, being new to me, gave me a hard time in getting it finished to my normal levels, and to be truthful, it still has some wispy lines that I'd have preferred to rid it off but just couldn't.

The blade profile is very much my own yet this one is done more towards what I'd call a "rocker", vs what I normally do that I call "flat n fast". The difference is super slight but I want you to know what you're getting.

*Because of this being my first knife completed in this steel, and taking into consideration the above issues I noted that came as a result if this as well as from the wood choice, I'm going to call this one a practice knife (a 2nd) and sell it "as is".

Price - $525 (shipping included to USA - international to pay actual costs)
    *Note - this same knife will cost about $100 more in the near future.

If you're interested in purchasing this knife please contact via PM or email along with your Paypal email address (for the invoice). If international, please specify country.

Thanks for looking!

Dave

P1010008.JPG P1010010.JPG P1010012.JPG P1010015.JPG P1010016.JPG P1010019.JPG P1010026.JPG P1010027.JPG

2. Dave Martell

Here's a picture I snapped just before I started grinding on this knife...

P1010005.JPG

3. apathetic

apathetic Founding Member

Wow! That looks amazing! And the handle... :jump

4. Dave Martell