1. {Name}
    Welcome to the KKF!
    Please take a moment to register and stop by the New Member Check-In and say hello. We sincerely hope you enjoy your stay and the discussion of all things sharp.
    Feel free to jump right in on the conversation or make your own. We have an edge on life!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Take a look at our new AUCTION SYSTEM

This service is available to all KKFora members to both Bid on and Auction off (Sell)items.
    Dismiss Notice

Food Release Test - 10 knives for 10 Potatoes (Carter, Asai, Mizuno, Mac, more)

Discussion in 'The Kitchen Knife' started by captaincaed, Jan 22, 2018.

1. Brought out 10 knives to see how they go though 10 potatoes. Peel, thick sections, thin sections and quick chopping. Should be interesting! Edited to cut out dead-time.

Click through to the YouTube page for time-links to each knife.

2. MattS

MattS Founding Member

Kochi for the win. Nice. I have the ktip and really like it. Similar performance on potatoes as what you did here.

3. marc4pt0

marc4pt0 Founding Member

Fun stuff. That Kochi gyuto, is it the stainless clad carbon core? That one I have as well as the carbon k-tip. The k-tip is something very special. Every time I use it I'm just wowed

4. From what I recall, this is the stainless core Kochi with reactive cladding. I've been curious about a k-tip knife myself, nice to hear they have a following!

I heard one comment from a professional chef, and that was that soaked, cold potatoes may behave very differently than those left on the counter top by home cooks such as myself. Is that the case?

5. marc4pt0

marc4pt0 Founding Member

100% the case. Night and day difference. Cold soaked potatoes are very much more difficult to cut.

6. Hmmm, I thought kochi came in 3 flavors

Stainless clading WH2 core
    KU reactive clading V2 core
    Migaki reactive clading B2 core

At least I think this is the current flavors. Thanks for the test, very entertaining.

7. marc4pt0

marc4pt0 Founding Member

Is it confirmed that the stainless clad line has white #2 carbon core? I remember it being a kept secret for a while.

8. I don’t think it was confirmed or denied by Jon, so not 100%. I was referring more to the statement that it is stainless core with reactive clading, which would be very unusual. Jon said the core on stainless is very pure, high carbon with very fine structure that is easy to sharpen and takes an amazing edge.

9. marc4pt0

marc4pt0 Founding Member

That I do recall. Just wasn't sure if he later confirmed it.
    I'm terrible at "translating" steel types through use and sharpening.

10. rogue108

rogue108 Founding Member

Jon confirmed to me the core on the stainless clad Kochi's are White #2. If I recall correctly, he mentioned it to me when I sent my Kochi in for service. What is listed is what I was told were the steels in the different models

11. JBroida

JBroida Founding Member

This is accurate... stainless clad is a white #2 core, KU with carbon cladding is takefu v2 in the core, and the migaki with carbon cladding is a blue #2 core

12. Oh that’s great info! I’m glad to know. I suddenly understand the blueing...