1. {Name}
    Welcome to the KKF!
    Please take a moment to register and stop by the New Member Check-In and say hello. We sincerely hope you enjoy your stay and the discussion of all things sharp.
    Feel free to jump right in on the conversation or make your own. We have an edge on life!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Take a look at our new AUCTION SYSTEM

This service is available to all KKFora members to both Bid on and Auction off (Sell)items.
    Dismiss Notice

Folders

Discussion in 'EDC - What is in your pocket?' started by Andrew, Feb 28, 2014.

1. Andrew

Andrew Have Pen Will Travel Founding Member

2. HHH Knives

HHH Knives Founding Member

Phil Booth folder 012 (800x533).jpg Phil Booth folder 004 (800x533).jpg Custom flipper. This is one from my rotation of EDC Made for me by Phil Booth

Damascus and pre ban ivory handles! Blow in the dark back spacer. and titanium frames.

3. Toothpick

Toothpick #2 since day #1 Founding Member

My dad gave me his knife collection a few months ago. There are a few others not in the pic.
    [​IMG]

This is my EDC. Kershaw Skyline
    [​IMG]

4. James

James smarter then your average duck Founding Member Gold Contributor

Ive had the same pocket knife since highschool, I lost it in my last move and have once again found it Ya'ay,... Oh wait, no what happened

2014-03-25 21.56.40.jpg
    something wicked and nasty got on it and first flip closed,... bye bye tip. :oops:

but on the plus side, i never really liked it anyway, at least I found I dont like serrated blades. so new pocket knife it is and Im happy again (Thank you me for finding "blem" Blades)

Me, Meet kershaw knockout

qw.png
    And I was happy knowing this was coming,... till I seen someones custom acid etch on their blade,... now I need to do that too lol, ill have to find a "How to" out there somewhere

5. Christopher

Christopher Founding Member

There are a ton of videos on You Tube that talk about acid washing. Just remember to protect the points where your washers and pivots are. I've heard a lot of people use fingernail polish. An acid wash, with a stone wash on top of it, is becoming my favorite look. brous-blades-bionic-flipper-black-acid-stonewash-large.jpg

6. James

got my replacement pocket knife... my first spydy

manix 2

IMG_20140402_135230.jpg

7. Christopher

Christopher Founding Member

Nice choice James. You're going to love that knife. Now that you have a Spyderco, you can become obsessed with flicking it open 100 different ways and opening/closing it with the ball bearing lock. It took me about a month to stop flicking my Tenacious LOL.

8. Jim

Jim Old Curmudgeon Founding Member

9. MotoMike

MotoMike Founding Member

IMG_20140410_093603_173.jpg IMG_20140410_093636_225.jpg
    This knife has been in my pocket daily for about 19 years. It has terminated deer, cut wire, rope, wood, tin cans, occasionally used to break into locked doors or windows and put to countless other misuses To say it has been abused would be putting it mildly. It is the Benchmade AFCK I think it is the 804S which is no longer in production. It is the earlier model with the liner lock. ATS 34 steel which is apparently tough as nails. It can be brought to a shaving edge and holds it a good while. It sharpens slow, seems to be highly resistant to abrasion.

10. John Fout

John Fout Founding Member

No Opinels?!

11. BathonUk

BathonUk Founding Member

Once I had Spyderco Military. I loved this knife but it was only knife that I couldn't sharpen. I do not know why. I wish to have it but in different steel.

12. Spaz

Spaz Founding Member

My first Spydy too. Native in CTS-XHP

[​IMG]

13. James

nice spyder... those boring awkward bog holes (what i used to think of them) are addictive... i still dont like most of the looks of their knives but i like that one... my manix, and a few others, i could see my Manix having a mate one day

my forst Benchmade Mini Griptilian in S30V... loooove this one toooo

IMG_20140411_191728.jpg

14. i stopped carrying folders and fixed blades cause of the damn coppers….i usually carry a gerber tab razor…pretty handy little knife and u can just swap it out with a reg razor blade when its dull…….i do still have a kershaw zt 0200….other than that its mostly damascus fixed blades…..ryan

15. Spaz

Spaz Founding Member

That Benchmade is SHARP!

16. Andrew

I'll just leave this here...

P1100876.JPG P1100877.JPG

Last edited: Apr 13, 2014
  17. James

18. Andrew

Something that wasn't ever supposed to leave Spyderco headquarters.

19. James

i seen the prototype stamp... whats it look like open ?

20. Andrew

Open, it looks just like a Spyderco Gayle Bradley Air, which is something you need in your life, James. They're a great gentleman's folder, and the blade is made with pretty amazing steel. Knock over $100 off the retail price, and that's what they go for on ebay these days.

I was headed out the door earlier, but now I have time to tell the whole story. Spyderco produces quite a few "collaboration" models that they develop with knife makers and knife designers. My friend Chris, who is a chemistry instructor at Oregon State University and knife designer on the side (one day knife maker hopefully) just designed the Spyderco Introvert that's coming out in a few months. Spyderco works with folks like Chris by using drawings, cardboard and plastic mock ups in an iterative process that leads to Spyderco manufacturing a prototype in their factory in Golden, Colorado.

Actual knife makers like Gayle Bradley send Spyderco a fully working, finished prototype, from which Spyderco develops tooling, then manufactures the knife at one of several factories they work with around the world. Spyderco does not return prototypes. They keep them for their museum.

So all that said, two of the owners of Spyderco (Sal and his son Eric) gather up whatever knives are lying around their office and bring them to the Oregon Knife Collectors Association (OKCA) show to sell on the day before the public show opens. On that Friday, the show is only open to OKCA members while vendors set up their booths. That knife hit the table, and I bought it. I thought I was getting a great deal on a Spyderco Gayle Bradley Air with unusual carbon fiber scales but soon found out I had bought an Air made by Gayle Bradley himself, not Spyderco.

There is only one of these knives in the world. It was swept up while Sal was getting ready for the OKCA show and sold to me by mistake. To Sal and Eric's credit, they didn't hassle me about it or ask me to give it back when I started asking them questions about the knife, even though I felt bad about it after Eric said it shouldn't have been sold.

Eric and Sal both said it wasn't the first prototype that was mistakenly sold. Those two gentlemen are class acts, by the way, and it's been a pleasure to spend time with both of them this year and last. They're a wealth of knowledge and genuinely enjoy engaging with knife enthusiasts. I hope to see them each year for many to come.

I don't have a huge collection, but about the only pocket knives I buy anymore are Spydercos. They're using a lot of high tech steels these days, and I really like a lot of their designs. I'm excited about several of the protoypes they had at the show, one of which is an Ed Schempp folding santoku... mind. blown.