1. {Name}
    Welcome to the KKF!
    Please take a moment to register and stop by the New Member Check-In and say hello. We sincerely hope you enjoy your stay and the discussion of all things sharp.
    Feel free to jump right in on the conversation or make your own. We have an edge on life!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Take a look at our new AUCTION SYSTEM

This service is available to all KKFora members to both Bid on and Auction off (Sell)items.
    Dismiss Notice

Flat stones are the best stones

Discussion in 'Sharpening forum' started by villewonka, May 8, 2016.

1. Hi guys and girls.

I'm pretty new on sharpening with waterstones, i got a double sided 1000/3000 stone that is starting to get concave. What do you recommend? Whetstone or diamond stone?

Btw, this is my first post :)

2. Rick

Rick aka Pensacola Tiger Founding Member Gold Contributor

Welcome!

The Atoma 140 diamond plate is most often recommended for waterstone flattening. The speed and convenience is worth the price.

There are less expensive diamond plates, but they are not equal to the Atoma.

Some less costly alternatives are wet/dry sandpaper on a hard, flat surface like a ceramic tile, or one of the many stone flatteners on the market.

It's also possible to flatten a stone on a concrete floor or sidewalk.

Rick

3. Thank you for the reply! Ok is the atoma 400 grit too fine?

4. Rick

Rick aka Pensacola Tiger Founding Member Gold Contributor

The Atoma 400 will work, but it will be a lot slower than the 140. I use mine for final finish of my high grit (>5K) stones.