1. {Name}
    Welcome to the KKF!
    Please take a moment to register and stop by the New Member Check-In and say hello. We sincerely hope you enjoy your stay and the discussion of all things sharp.
    Feel free to jump right in on the conversation or make your own. We have an edge on life!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Take a look at our new AUCTION SYSTEM

This service is available to all KKFora members to both Bid on and Auction off (Sell)items.
    Dismiss Notice

first saya

Discussion in 'The Kitchen Knife' started by MotoMike, Aug 10, 2015.

1. MotoMike

MotoMike Founding Member

Last year on my vacation I had to use a comically dull extremely cheap kitchen knife. If I didn't know better, I'd have thought they ran it at 90 degrees across a grinder. I'd not considered the need to bring my own knife.

I'm ready this year having just made my first saya of some scrap poplar I had around. rough but should get the job done.

IMG_20150808_182326_237.jpg IMG_20150808_182151_893.jpg

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 10, 2015
  2. Looks great! Both @Lefty and @Mokuzo are out of business now :p

3. MotoMike

MotoMike Founding Member

Ha! Maybe if you started making them, they would be!

4. MattS

MattS Founding Member

Perfectly functional. Now you need to get cracking and make them for all your knives.

5. Very nice!

6. cheflarge

cheflarge Founding Member

Well done, Mike. :cool1

7. Toothpick

Toothpick #2 since day #1 Founding Member

8. Nice job!
    If i could do that, i would do that as well. :)

9. Looks great man!

10. Rick

Rick aka Pensacola Tiger Founding Member Gold Contributor

11. MotoMike

MotoMike Founding Member

You guys are too kind. thanks very much. this like many things has more to it than one initially thinks. to make them pleasing to the eye, thinned down to closely follow the knife while making them thick enough to be rugged is a tricky proposition.

12. Jeffery Hunter

Jeffery Hunter Founding Member

Looks great, is it a two or three piece? I really need to try my hand at one of these soon....

13. Not a bad start. Poplar is very similar to magnolia wood. And sorry but no one is putting lefty or me out of business;-)