1. {Name}
    Welcome to the KKF!
    Please take a moment to register and stop by the New Member Check-In and say hello. We sincerely hope you enjoy your stay and the discussion of all things sharp.
    Feel free to jump right in on the conversation or make your own. We have an edge on life!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Take a look at our new AUCTION SYSTEM

This service is available to all KKFora members to both Bid on and Auction off (Sell)items.
    Dismiss Notice

First attempt at some macro shots(pic heavy)

Discussion in 'The Off Topic Room' started by WarrenB, Feb 17, 2015.

1. I have recently decided to give macro photography a good try as it had always fascinated me. I tried it a few times with magnifying lenses attached to my standard lens, good results but not great so I picked up a well priced Tamron macro lens to go on my Nikon camera.

I am waiting for a nice solid Gitzo tripod to arrive so for these shots I had to make do with a small tripod with a head that didn't completely cut out all tiny vibrations that you only notice when really close to the subject.

Pretty happy with my first attempt but plenty of things to improve on, it looks like the start of something that I will really enjoy, the fun and learning begins!!

flower7.JPG flower6.JPG flower8.JPG flower9.JPG flower4.JPG flower5.JPG flower10.JPG flower.JPG flower3.JPG flower2.JPG

2. cheflarge

cheflarge Founding Member

Way cool :cool:

3. Haburn

Haburn Founding Member

So cool! I have some "magnifying" lens for my camera, and they work OK. Someday I'll get a macro lens, someday. Which Tamron did you get?

4. Jeffery Hunter

Jeffery Hunter Founding Member

Those are some great shots Warren. I have been looking at macro lenses for awhile but some other AD's seem to take over.... Look forward to seeing some more shots in the future

5. Intrigued

Intrigued Founding Member

Really nice shots! :cool1

6. Toothpick

Toothpick #2 since day #1 Founding Member

7. Toothpick

8. Thanks everyone! Will get some more up soon

To give it it's full title it's the Tamron 90mm f2.8 SP Di USD VC Macro lens, but let's just call it the Tamron from now on:D

9. Messing about with a tiny drop of water on a cd, just moved the light source about a bit to get different effects, some interesting results so far.

drop.JPG drop2.JPG drop3.JPG drop5.JPG drop4.JPG

10. MotoMike

MotoMike Founding Member

I can't quite tell what I'm seeing but it looks like there are tiny drops of water on that drop of water.

11. Toothpick

12. Lucretia

Lucretia Founding Member

These are fun! Particularly like the water drop photos.

13. Intrigued

Intrigued Founding Member

:cool1

14. Went for a quick walk near where we live today, decided to try some handheld shots and see what camera settings work well.

Quick pic just to give you an idea of the size of the stuff I am shooting
    moss7.JPG

On the same branch
    moss5.JPG moss6.JPG moss4.JPG

Just a few more while I was messing about with depth of field
    moss.JPG moss3.JPG

The macro lens is quite versatile and also great for portrait shots
    pony.JPG pony2.JPG

Pretty pleased with the handheld macro shots, it was good to try different shutter speeds, apertures etc. Just at the beginning of this macro journey and still learning all the time! I have done a bit of reading on the subject, but the best way is to get out there and shoot away and and learn what settings work well for your setup. Once I have got the camera settings down then I can think more about picture composition, subjects etc.

15. A few more from today, all good practice!

Rusty nut and bolt on a wooden post
    bolt.JPG

Some plant life/fungus growing on a concrete bridge

moss8.JPG
    moss18.JPG

More pics of the fungus growing on some branches
    moss11.JPG moss13.JPG moss14.JPG

moss15.JPG moss12.JPG

16. Very cool!

17. Trying out the new camera, Nikon D800 with Tamron SP 90mm VC Macro
    This camera is way way better than me, but it will push me to practice, practice and practice!!

Just messing about with some peppercorns, the white background wasn't the best idea and the pics are not amazing but it's getting late here and I was eager to just take some pics of anything with the new camera:D
    pep.JPG pep2.JPG pep3.JPG pep4.JPG

Last edited: Mar 3, 2015
  18. Toothpick

Shetland Pony?

19. Great pics Warren!