1. {Name}
    Welcome to the KKF!
    Please take a moment to register and stop by the New Member Check-In and say hello. We sincerely hope you enjoy your stay and the discussion of all things sharp.
    Feel free to jump right in on the conversation or make your own. We have an edge on life!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Take a look at our new AUCTION SYSTEM

This service is available to all KKFora members to both Bid on and Auction off (Sell)items.
    Dismiss Notice

First 240mm Gyuto in Bohler K110

Discussion in 'Handiwork Display' started by Ant_Topps, Apr 1, 2016.

1. Hi all,

Long time reader and drooler of everything on KKF.
    Got into this knife making to make a present for my sister but the bug has bitten and I'd like as much feedback as possible from the learned folk here.

This is one of my first 240mm gyuto style knives and second hidden tang. I was really happy with the overall fit and finish. Having used it's brother a bit, I'll make some tweaks here and there.

240mm gyuto style chef knife
    Steel: 2.5mm Bohler K110 at 60HRC with #800 hand rubbed satin finish
    Warthog ivory collar
    Brass spacer and pin
    Leadwood d-shape handle

240mm-Gyuto-in-k110-leadwood-and-warthog-ivory-by-Anthony-Topham-RSA.jpg

Thank you in advance.

2. One more with a bit more detail...
    240mm-Gyuto-in-k110-leadwood-and-warthog-ivory-by-Anthony-Topham-RSA-handle-detail.jpg

3. Toothpick

Toothpick #2 since day #1 Founding Member

4. Mrmnms

Mrmnms Founding Member Gold Contributor

Wow! Really clean looking Anthony. What's the heel height?

5. Thank you @Toothpick.

@Mrmnms, heel height is 55mm to allow for knuckle clearance. I read and watched a number of knife reviews and it seemed a happy medium in terms of height??

6. Jim

Jim Old Curmudgeon Founding Member

7. Thank you @Jim. It came out really nicely in the end. At one point I got a bit frustrated and the handle almost ended up in the bin, but worth it in the end.
    Believe there is too much of a belly on this at least around the heel, so will make that change going forward.

8. Lefty

Lefty Founding Member

Yeah, it definitely looks the part! How's it cut? I'm asking because of the performance comes close to the looks, you're going to be a busy guy. :)

9. Hey @Lefty, for the most part I was happy with cutting performance.
    As it's a full flat grind, it's thin behind the edge but I need to learn how to sharpen the tip properly on the stones to help with tip work.

10. MotoMike

MotoMike Founding Member

It is a real beauty. plenty high to keep your knuckles out of it.