1. {Name}
    Welcome to the KKF!
    Please take a moment to register and stop by the New Member Check-In and say hello. We sincerely hope you enjoy your stay and the discussion of all things sharp.
    Feel free to jump right in on the conversation or make your own. We have an edge on life!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Take a look at our new AUCTION SYSTEM

This service is available to all KKFora members to both Bid on and Auction off (Sell)items.
    Dismiss Notice

FINALLY Spyderco Sharpmaker

Discussion in 'Sharpening forum' started by James, Apr 23, 2014.

1. James

James smarter then your average duck Founding Member Gold Contributor

I bought one,.. it came in today, and in 6 -10 minutes (I really wasnt watching, but it didnt even seem that long) it totally fixed the mess of a blade I made to my Spyderco Manix 2 blade. I think my smaller blades will stick to this thing till I figure out the big stones with some easier knives. My Spyder isnt perfect, but it is sharp and serviceable again, and with a little practice and some experience on that thing Id imagine I can get the results I want for my pocket blades. Finished on my Leather cover to my Midori travelers notebook,...

I cant tell you how defeated I was when I took that edge out before,... So I am very happy tonight, and glad I bought this thing

2. Toothpick

Toothpick #2 since day #1 Founding Member

3. James

James smarter then your average duck Founding Member Gold Contributor

yup... worked for me... specially after i butchered the thing

4. Christopher

Christopher Founding Member

I find the Chinese knock off edge pro works great for me. It's cheap and comes with stones good enough to get screaming sharp edges. I top my edges off with a strop consisting of white and green compounds. I look at the Sharpmaker as a maintenance sharpener and there's nothing wrong with that. I can, however, do the same thing with mine as can be done on a Sharpmaker, but I can also re profile and sharpen at any angle I chose which is much harder, if not impossible, with the Sharpmaker.

5. MotoMike

MotoMike Founding Member

I have one of those fake edge pros. I did not think the stones were terrible, but I am not stone-o-phile, so I am sure wrong on that. I have gotten shaving sharp edges on the knives I have tried. I did not feel the coarse stone that came with it was very efficient though. I am waiting for some coarse diamond stones to come in that I think I can retrofit for establishing a bevel.

6. Legion

Legion Founding Member

I'm a big fan of the Spyderco for pocket knives. So easy, and puts a very good edge on them, especially carbon blades.

I will probably get in trouble here, but they can also work well on Japanese kitchen knives. The trick is to use the 15 degree side which is intended for the secondary bevel on western knives. Doing this, and then a final finishing pass on a coticule with just water, then CrOx, then strop, I have been able to get a Jknife to shave my face well enough.