1. {Name}
    Welcome to the KKF!
    Please take a moment to register and stop by the New Member Check-In and say hello. We sincerely hope you enjoy your stay and the discussion of all things sharp.
    Feel free to jump right in on the conversation or make your own. We have an edge on life!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Take a look at our new AUCTION SYSTEM

This service is available to all KKFora members to both Bid on and Auction off (Sell)items.
    Dismiss Notice

Finally Going To Try To Do A Knife,... Help Welcome

Discussion in 'Sharpening forum' started by James, Oct 26, 2014.

1. James

James smarter then your average duck Founding Member Gold Contributor

So a while back Andre sent me a beston 500, Bester 1200, and a Suehiro Rika. But alas I was afriad to touch my new knives to them until I got the whole sharpening thing down. I play with them some on my little pocket knives but its time with the help of mrmnms and a Knife he sent me to get to the business already 2014-10-26 19.27.03.jpg

So While the cat is keeping an eye on the soaking stones,...

2014-10-26 19.28.08.jpg
    Id Like to focus on the knife, Mike marked it up for meto start with, and sharpened it as well so I know what I should have when done. I am thinking to start with I need to hit the large bevel thats half covered in sharpie until I get a bur, then do the same to other side, then repeat but at the higher angle of the blade. is that right ?

If so any advice on ste one, the wider bevel that I will thin a bit ?

2. James

awww,... so no thinning is needed yet (Watched some John Videos) so the sharpie is there just to see ifn im to low or high

3. Lucretia

Lucretia Founding Member

My advice is to keep a close eye on the cat. They will suck down water from your soaking bucket & lick the stones when they're out of the water. The worst was when mine puked on one of my stones a few weeks back. And you know how the stones will soak up liquids. :eek:

4. Mrmnms

Mrmnms Founding Member Gold Contributor

Since you know it's sharp now, just use it a bit and then take the edge off it, maybe on the side if the 500. Then raise a burr on the 500, de burr and repeat on the 1200. I marked it so you could see where you're contacting the blade . Check where you're hitting every few passes. Shoot for just behind the edge initially and slightly raise your angle until you hit the edge. Then you'll get your burr. Other than for practice , you really dont need the Rika too much on this. The edge I left you with was from a Geshin 1200 from Jon I had just used on another knife, followed buy a few strokes on a Rika. I just figured you could practice your angles without worrying about trashing a good knife. It might not keep it long, but it takes a pretty good edge to practice. This should be a piece of cake after razors James. Have fun, you really can't mess it up much.

5. James

I gave it a shot with the 1200 sp I didnt do to much damage lol. with the blade facing me at the 45 degree angle (Clock position wise) I got a nice thin edge that was consistent along the whole edge, the other side blade facing away wasnt as nice though, but I think I got it, wasnt bad, was a bit to high on my edge, it still cut okay but far from a proper edge, I dont think im that far off though

6. When I went freehand, I had had trouble not scratching up the blade bevel. Eventually I ended up increasing my angle until I was way too steep but could get a burr raised easily. Then I kept lowering the angle until I was sharpening at the correct angle and not scratching the bevel. Basically I exaggerated the angle until I was comfortable on the stones.

7. James

Ill give that a try... I got frustrated last night when i wore off the sharpie and couldnt find a sharpie lol... ill get back up and running tomorrow, and see what i get

8. Andre

Andre Founding Member

Definitely should be easy after razors! You'll be on to the Hiromoto in no time! And if you scratch it all up send it back to Dave, that's how he pays them bills!

9. James

lol, well I think its a bit easier then I thought, I didnt expect a miracle the first time out, but it went better then I thought it would

10. Well James, I'll trade you. I seem to be able to sharpen my knives well, but my straight, that's another story.

I bought a whipped dog, which is supposedly shave ready. Having never shaved with a straight, it's hard to know, but feels anything but shave ready to me.

I bought some stones and grid honing it this weekend. It's ok now, not good, but at least I could shave my face with out fear of cutting because the razor was dragging.

My poor strop that I have now cut three times, is another story....this crap is way harder than it looks lol

11. James

lol go slow on the strop, make damn sure your lather is up to the task, and Ive had some good honers make edges I dont like, i cant set a bevel or anything or at least ive never had to try, I bought a strop, when that stopped working I bought a 12K naniwa to touch up and im loosing a few edges even for that, I would love to get a set of JNS to do some more playing. But I have some pastes to try one the way

12. larrybard

larrybard Founding Member

I'm about to embark on a similar adventure, never having sharpened before, once I watch Dave's and Jon's videos another time. Your set of stones seems identical to the ones I got from Dave, i.e,. his starter set. I'm curious: you mentioned a 45 degree angle, and I know that it's necessarily just an estimate (since you're sharpening freehand, rather than with an Edge Pro, for example), but I thought that many good Japanese knives had edges of 15 degrees (so 30 total), and for German knives 20/40 might be more common, so why 45?

13. James

not a 45 degree lift off of the stone, thats at the lower angle, thr blade is at a 45 degree clock position in relation to the stone... once you watch Johns videos you will know what im trying to say

Its a left right thing not a up down thing if that makes sense

if not ill have to take a picture when i get home

14. larrybard

larrybard Founding Member

I understand completely. Thanks. BTW, if you haven't seen Dave's videos and would like to borrow a copy, send me your mailing address and I'll mail the DVDs to you.

15. Kim Bronnum

Kim Bronnum Founding Member

Speed is an other important factor. In my experience I started going too quickly too soon on my strokes, once I had the basis under some control. By this I often messed up the result because you need to be quite good at maintaining a consistant angle before you can do it with faster strokes. This part is very much about building up the motor functions. It takes time - and speed kills in this phase. I think I have seen Jon's sharpening videos at least four times. Every time I reconised new elements/details. Lastly I would recommend not to use the B 500 in the beginning. The 1200 is more forgiving because it doesn't kill the edge as quickly when (if) the blade warps.
    Excuse me if this doesn't make sence - I've had a fair bit of red Wine :)
    - Kim

16. Jim

Jim Old Curmudgeon Founding Member

I was thinking how could anyone fail to get at least a serviceable edge with all the kindness and expert advice here?

Well done men.

17. James

I am playing this weekend, seasonal house work, and paid work has kept me busy, but i watched Daves DVD a couple of times and picked up a few tops i think i can add to my game, as well as better understand a few things i had wrong in my head, so tomorrow we will see what i come up with. at least that's the plan, i have a clogged gutter to do first, so as long as i don't fall off the roof i should be good to go