1. {Name}
    Welcome to the KKF!
    Please take a moment to register and stop by the New Member Check-In and say hello. We sincerely hope you enjoy your stay and the discussion of all things sharp.
    Feel free to jump right in on the conversation or make your own. We have an edge on life!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Take a look at our new AUCTION SYSTEM

This service is available to all KKFora members to both Bid on and Auction off (Sell)items.
    Dismiss Notice

File Knife Refurb

Discussion in 'JapaneseKnifeSharpening / Dave Martell Knives' started by Dave Martell, Jul 16, 2015.

1. Dave Martell

Dave Martell Professional Craftsman Founding Member

My next door neighbors are pretty cool, the middle son (oldest in the house - I think 19-20) has done me a few favors since we moved in last August. He's plowed my (long and very steep) driveway a whole bunch of times (without me asking) as well as mowed my (2 acre) lawn when it looked like it needed mowing. He's just one of those work hard kind of guys that you don't see much of today. So when he showed me this knife of his (that he had bought about 6 yrs ago at an outdoors show) that's been made from a file - all rusty and one scale missing I knew I had the opportunity to repay his kindness.

The knife appears to have been made by someone who knew how to grind but not how to use pins in handles - LOL. I removed the remaining scale and set out to flatten the tang by removing the teeth (that sat under the scales) but this didn't work out so well for me and I converted it to a hidden tang. [​IMG]

I used a block of this crazy two toned amboyna burl that I scored a batch of to fashion the new handle from. This particular block was a little short for use on a full size kitchen knife and had a live end on it which I decided to leave. The original handle was pretty straight where I went with a curve and then blended into the finger notch.

On the blade I removed what rust I could from the file teeth and then blued then over. I then smoothed over the teeth to make them less grabby. The bevels were then re-ground. I still have to put an edge on it (which will bring the tip to pointy-ness but otherwise it's done.

Oh, and the lucky bastid has a sheath (from another knife) that fits this knife like it was made for it. [​IMG]

Just thought I'd share with you folks.....

P1010024.JPG P1010030.JPG P1010035.JPG P1010019.JPG P1010038.JPG P1010043.JPG

2. WildBoar

WildBoar Founding Member Contributor

Great stuff Dave -- that knife looks very cool. Nice way to pay him back for his help.

3. cheflarge

cheflarge Founding Member

Way cool, Dave!!! Very nice gesture. :cool:

4. Toothpick

Toothpick #2 since day #1 Founding Member

5. Taylor

Taylor Professional Craftsman Founding Member

That's awesome! Every part of it :)

6. Dave Martell

I just gave him the knife. He was pretty dang happy! :cool1

7. Toothpick

Toothpick #2 since day #1 Founding Member

8. Jim

Jim Old Curmudgeon Founding Member

9. Lefty

Lefty Founding Member

Beautiful!

10. Jeffery Hunter

Jeffery Hunter Founding Member

That looks amazing!

11. Mrmnms

Mrmnms Founding Member Gold Contributor

Really like what you did Dave. First class. Maybe opens up a new avenue for with this.

12. Dave Martell

13. Lucretia

Lucretia Founding Member

Beautiful work as usual, sir!

14. Wow! Very nice knife. What a great thank you to the neighbor.