1. {Name}
    Welcome to the KKF!
    Please take a moment to register and stop by the New Member Check-In and say hello. We sincerely hope you enjoy your stay and the discussion of all things sharp.
    Feel free to jump right in on the conversation or make your own. We have an edge on life!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Take a look at our new AUCTION SYSTEM

This service is available to all KKFora members to both Bid on and Auction off (Sell)items.
    Dismiss Notice

F/S 8" and 10" HHH Knives Gyuto's F/S

Discussion in 'HHH Custom Knives' started by HHH Knives, Feb 25, 2016.

1. HHH Knives

HHH Knives Founding Member

Hello. I have been testing a couple of different handle shapes as well as blade geometry.. Here are the first 2 completed pieces. This handle is a extension of a design I started on in 2013. At some point in the near future. I plan to do a batch or pre buy of this style Gyuto, in a San Mai Blue#2 core stainless clad. offering it in 2 sizes . 8" and 10"

These 2 have a RC of 63/64, The grinds are convex.
    Handle style is a modified full tang Wa construction. A nod to Delbert Ealy.

Specs and prices.

Specs 8"
    OAL:
    13"~330mm
    Blade: 8 1/8"~205mm tip to heel. Thickness above the heel 2.2mm Tapering to tip. Blade height at heel 52mm tall.
    HHH Damascus, High Carbon steel. Hardened to RC 63. Modified ladder pattern.
    Handle: OAL 4 1/2" ~ 115mm Snake wood and birch burl. Both came from Craig Stevens.
    (here are the specs for the handle. Thickness, height and length
    Height at front 23.5mm tapering to 29mm
    Thickness at front 15mm to 22mm
    Length is 4 1/2" ~ 115mm)

Pins: Copper
    Liners and spacers: Black G-10 and copper
    Rounded spine and choil.
    EDIT: SOLD Thanks KKF

IMG_8234 (800x533).jpg

Attached Files:

Last edited: Feb 26, 2016
  2. HHH Knives

Specs 10"
    OAL: 15 1/4"~390mm
    Blade: 10"~254mm tip to heel. Thickness above heel 2.5mm Tapering to the tip. Blade height at heel 53.5mm tall.
    HHH Damascus, High Carbon steel. Hardened to RC 63. Tribal pattern
    Handle: OAL 5 1/8"~130mm Honduran Rosewood burl with African Blackwood. Both from Mark Farly at Burl Source.
    (here are the specs for the handle. Thickness, height and length
    The height at the front is 23.5mm tapering to the back at 28mm
    The thickness is front 15mm tapering to 22mm
    Length is 5 1/8" or 130mm)

Pins: Copper
    Liners and spacers: Black G-10 and copper
    Rounded spine and choil.
    Leather Saya with copper stitching. Hand sewn and hand tooled with a lion. I did not get images of the saya and knife together. I will gladly send or post images per request.
    $1400.00 Delivered

IMG_8270 (800x533).jpg IMG_8272 (800x533).jpg IMG_8276 (800x533).jpg IMG_8278 (800x533).jpg IMG_8280 (800x533).jpg IMG_8281 (800x533).jpg IMG_8294 (800x533).jpg IMG_8300 (800x533).jpg IMG_8303 (800x533).jpg IMG_8310 (800x533).jpg IMG_8210 (800x534).jpg IMG_8286 (800x533).jpg IMG_8297 (800x531).jpg IMG_8298 (800x533).jpg

3. HHH Knives

I snapped a few images in natural light on my walnut board. The colors are a little closer to true. Also shows the Saya that comes with the 10" chef.

IMG_8324 (800x499).jpg IMG_8325 (800x543).jpg IMG_8327 (800x533).jpg IMG_8328 (800x533).jpg IMG_8329 (800x533).jpg

Attached Files:

Last edited: Feb 26, 2016
  4. HHH Knives

The 8" Chef is SOLD. Thanks KKF!

10" still in need of a good home.. :D

5. HHH Knives

6. Mrmnms

Mrmnms Founding Member Gold Contributor

Gorgeous Randy, is it silly to ask how the geometry differs from others you've done?

7. HHH Knives

8. cheflarge

cheflarge Founding Member

OMG!!! What a frickin' beautiful knife! Just went through the whole pic sequence again, on your site...... AMAZING. I think my heart skipped a beat. :cool1

9. Mrmnms

Watch that ticker Al :D It's a beautiful knife but I'm sure "it will cut"

Last edited: Feb 29, 2016
  10. HHH Knives

LMAO!! Yes it will cut! Im guessing this is a play on the Forged in fire TV show?

11. HHH Knives

Mikey, Im happy to talk about this geometry. I think I sorta muddied the waters a little in my post, Because as I was telling you about these 2 knives. I also was trying to talk about a future project in the san mai knives I am working on.. So I will try to explain these 2 knives And save the San Mai "work horse" knives for another post. :D

The 8" is the one that I made the most change to the blade itself. first off, The tip location is higher then my "standard" Resulting in more belly throughout the cutting edge. Secondly, the tip itself is has a different shape. More pointy.. I guess would be one way to describe. Where many of the chef knives I make the tip is not as pointy. Even these 2 blades side by side. Its easy to see the difference Both in tip location/height and tip shape.

The 10" I went the other direction with the tip. and lowered it ever so slightly. This results in a flatter edge profile. Also the tip is more akin to my standard gyuto on this 10" I love the way this 10" knife feels and cuts. But overall. The profile and tip and geometry are very similar to my standard. With a grind thats R hand bias and more convexity to the blade faces.

Overall. Some changes are so subtle and almost impossible to "see" .. Unless you have 2 or more blades side by side to compare. And even then. One may cut or fee better then another. Yet looking at them you would be hard pressed to say what is different. At this point in my journey, some changes are so subtle.. Yet make a difference in the performance of the knife.

As I move forward with the 8" work horse. I am basing the grinds off a Kato. While having the tip position and blade shape, similar to this 8" damascus blade.

I hope this answered more questions then it created. But if nothing else it opens the door to more questions if need be. :D
    Blessings to you and Yours
    Randy

Here is a side by side of the 2 damascus blades. I think it will help show the tip and belly of both blades.

IMG_8219 (800x533).jpg

12. Both look great. But my persoal preference is for the shape of the 8"

13. HHH Knives

Thanks for your input Alex. :D

14. Now if only my wife would get over the notion that 6 gyutos is plenty for a home cook.

15. Mrmnms

I like the height of the 10. A little taller than your 24o I have. I love mine. Can't believe it's still available .

16. HHH Knives

These are long gone and likely being used tonight to cook dinner with! SOLD, Thanks KKF!

On a side note. I plan to do a short run. 6 knives in San Mai stainless over Blue#2 core in this new design. Stay tuned for some details in a new post later this week or this weekend. To get on the list.

Blessings
    Randy