1. {Name}
    Welcome to the KKF!
    Please take a moment to register and stop by the New Member Check-In and say hello. We sincerely hope you enjoy your stay and the discussion of all things sharp.
    Feel free to jump right in on the conversation or make your own. We have an edge on life!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Take a look at our new AUCTION SYSTEM

This service is available to all KKFora members to both Bid on and Auction off (Sell)items.
    Dismiss Notice

Epic Knives Review WARNING! A lot of bling

Discussion in 'The Kitchen Knife' started by Mrmnms, Mar 2, 2016.

1. Mrmnms

Mrmnms Founding Member Gold Contributor

image.jpeg

Several years ago I was handed what I later learned was a fossilized walrus tooth. While trying to figure out what it was, a few people directed me to Randy Haas as the guy to ask. Randy and I hit it off right away. He felt like an old friend. I decided rather than sell the tooth, I’d consider the possibility of a knife project using the tooth in a series of handles. While I took some time thinking about what I wanted , I bought a folder with cool filing on the spine and a koa handled Gyuto from HHH. I was very happy with both and decided to move forward.

image.jpeg

We ended up planning 4 knives, one fixed blade and a 3 piece kitchen knife set. I knew I wanted something crazy, that I might put in my shops display cases from time to time. I had access to rolled sheets of gold and silver and challenged Randy to experiment with hand making mokume from them with copper for tri metal bolsters. Maybe not my most practical idea, but after several frustrating attempts, he made it work.

image.jpeg

We originally planned to use the tooth as spacer material in all the knives. Randy suggested a different possible layout the he felt would better highlight the mokume and make better use of the tooth. He graciously provided some spectacular and extremely rare high grade matched walrus ivory scales for the set, and used the tooth only for the fixed blade. I’ve never seen scales this dark or intense. They are black exibition grade, perhaps the finest ever! The pictures don’t do them justice.
    I asked for tall knives with filing on the spine, recurve heels and mokume end caps. Randy tried to talk some sense into me, but at times I had little.

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

He delivered the fixed blade first. It was insane. I brought it to it’s new home. Everyone that saw it flipped out. The new owner, a good buddy of mine, loved it, and told me it would belong to his young son one day.

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

The 3 kitchen knives are perhaps a departure from what many forum members are into, but they are what I expected. They are very tall, even the shorty is 55 mm at heel. They are substantial , (weigh about the same as my 8 inch Kramer) due to my choice of handle materials. They feel great in hand. I believe this is the first (and only?) time Randy and his talented son used 3 steels in a Damascus, including blue. I love the way the blades came out and they perform as good as they look. The food release is on par with all but the best of what I own, I suspect because of the texture of the Damascus as well as the geometry of the convex grind. Randy put awesome edges on them all. The edge retention has been better than I expected and remarkably easy to maintain so far, although I do get a little anxious when putting them on stones.

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

They are an absolute pleasure in hand, but they are much more that the sum of their performance to me. These knives took on a life of their own that really can’t quite be put into words, yet can be expressed and manifested every time they are held, shared, admired and used.

image.jpeg

I always leave at least one of these out on display on a magnetic knife block with some other exceptional knives. I have a few friends I consider great cooks, not pros and not knife nuts. These are the knives they are always drawn to. If I ever find one missing, I'll know where to look .

image.jpeg

I hear from Randy from time to time. I think he wants to be sure the “experiment “ was successful (it was) . He’s graciously offered to touch them up if the patina was an issue on the mokume or Damascus. It is not. The steel looks great after being used for months. I may take Randy up on his offer at some point to smooth out the spine filing I insisted on just a little bit. As a former kitchen guy, I understand how some members might see knives just as fine tools. Other people think these knives are too special to use at all. I see them differently. They are part of life’s celebration for me. My children with have them one day, I hope their kids someday too. I think Randy understood that early on. He held nothing back while we designed these. He forged more than just knives, but a real bond between us. Job well done.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 3, 2016
  2. Toothpick

Toothpick #2 since day #1 Founding Member

3. I remember seeing that set when Randy posted some WIP pics, wasn't sure who they were for though! What a set!
    I have a couple of knives that I could happily pass down the family line, but nothing anywhere near that level, those are something special:cool1

Last edited: Mar 3, 2016
  4. Mrmnms

I've been cooking since I could barely reach a stove. Shoulder to shoulder with friends since I was a teenager. I started in restaurants at 12 or 13. Got my first Henkel from my boss at 14. I sharpened his knives on a Norton 3 way oil stone.
    For me, my family and friends, food is as much about taking care of, and, showing how we feel about each other than the food itself. But every one that knows me expects to be extremely well fed!
    My wife does not cook. They way she was raised, it's no wonder. Zero support. My youngest is spending time in the kitchen learning some knife skills and cooking with me now. My kids get my food and knife thing, even if they don't quite appreciate some of what I cook. They're still just kids with a kids palette. Hopefully, that will change.
    Randy and had I talked a lot, about many different thing. Knives and what we liked , food , family, life in general. He knew enough about me to understand what I planned. I supplied materials that would not have been available anywhere else because of my business. I had them out on display. Now they stay home where I think they belong.

5. Toothpick

Toothpick #2 since day #1 Founding Member

6. Dave Martell

Dave Martell Professional Craftsman Founding Member

7. Dave Martell

Dave Martell Professional Craftsman Founding Member

I had to come back for a 2nd look and comment.....

This is an amazing amount of work and level of craftsmanship being shown here. Congrats to Randy and yourself Mike.

8. Lefty

Lefty Founding Member

Wow. If you're doing a piece, or pieces that are this special, Randy is one of the only guys worth asking. He did it right. Beautiful, and inspiring work.

9. Aphex

Aphex Founding Member

Wow, that is some serious level of craftsmanship right there. I can only dream of owning a set of knives in that league.

10. cheflarge

cheflarge Founding Member

WOW!!! I was having a really SH!TTY day and you just made it all better Mike. Amazing write up and an even better story. :cool1

For all those that don't know Mrmnms is one of the finest human beings on the planet earth. Pretty easy to assume, after reading such a well written piece.

Randy Haas is right in the same group, as well. Some of the finest people I have ever met, came from the forum.

11. :like
    Amazing set!

12. MattS

MattS Founding Member

I seem to recall there were several renditions on the mokume. Ended up really great looking.

13. Lucretia

Lucretia Founding Member

Those are quite amazing!

14. I wondered who got this set. Congrats and great write up. I recall during the WIP that I foolishly didn't think I would like the buttcaps and once Randy finished them I was floored. You two came together in such a unique way.

15. Absolutely stunning Mike.

16. marc4pt0

marc4pt0 Founding Member

I also had wondered who would be getting this set. I checked into the WIP thread quite often. If I recall correctly, that thread (and the work itself) spanned over a lengthy period of time. It was quite enjoyable to watch the fruits of their labor unfold.
    Truly a unique set made by a wonderful set of makers.
    I as well have a (not quite so) unique knife from Randy, and it also holds a very dear spot. It's the one knife I have that absolutely 100% will be passed down to my daughter. Rather she cooks or not, this knife is for her.
    Randy is truly a Gentleman.
    Thanks for sharing, Mike!

17. Mrmnms

I gave Randy all the time he needed to figure out my requests. New materials . If that's the tuxedo Marc, it is too cool! I loved that when I first saw it. I've owned a few knives that looked great but didn't perform close to expectations. Everything I've tried of Randy's worked like they looked. I've seen enough of your knives to know that you have high expectations . I'm pretty sure I have one of your old hand me downs . Thanks to all.

18. Holy moly, those are gorgeous!!!

19. These look fantastic! The bolsters are great.

20. Spaz

Spaz Founding Member

Seeing those reminds me how poor I am.....