1. {Name}
    Welcome to the KKF!
    Please take a moment to register and stop by the New Member Check-In and say hello. We sincerely hope you enjoy your stay and the discussion of all things sharp.
    Feel free to jump right in on the conversation or make your own. We have an edge on life!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Take a look at our new AUCTION SYSTEM

This service is available to all KKFora members to both Bid on and Auction off (Sell)items.
    Dismiss Notice

DIY watch crystal replacement(pic heavy)

Discussion in 'The Off Topic Room' started by WarrenB, May 3, 2015.

1. So I picked up a nice Seiko kinetic a few weeks ago, pretty scuffed crystal but cheap enough to buy still.

I got a quote from a pro watch repairer to replace the crystal and although the price was reasonable I decided it wasn't worth the outlay as it's not a top end watch.

Soooo.... I decided to give it a go myself!! I ordered the crystal and gasket and a watch case press to get it fitted in. Just a budget press for £7.99 and the crystal and gasket was £17.

So here are the pics and the process(not a pro obviously:D)

Here is the watch with the scratched crystal
    crystal12.JPG

First I removed the bracelet and clamped the body in a small watch vise to make it easier to remove the back with the case tool I already had
    crystal.JPG

Plenty of downward pressure to prevent the tool slipping and the case back unscrewed fine
    crystal2.JPG

One small screw and a small part to lift slightly and the crown and stem can be removed
    crystal3.JPG

Then the movement just pops out
    crystal4.JPG

Now the slightly more stressful part, tapping out the old crystal!! I selected one of the dies that came with the press and laid the watch on towel to let the crystal pop out and gave the die a good tap with a hammer.
    crystal5.JPG

Lifted the case and there was the crystal, phewww!!
    crystal6.JPG

Fitted the new gasket and crystal and then in to the press with the correct dies chosen. Squeezed the press down while pulling funny faces waiting for a pop of shattered glass!!
    crystal7.JPG

And...... success:jump
    crystal8.JPG

Couple more pics as I am so happy it worked out ok:)
    crystal9.JPG crystal10.JPG crystal11.JPG

I can't help trying to fix stuff myself and definitely happy I gave it a go:)

Last edited: May 3, 2015
  2. Toothpick

Toothpick #2 since day #1 Founding Member

When you going to become KKFora's watch repair vendor?

Great work! I would not have attempted that.

3. Don't think I would have the same confidence working on someone else's watch!!

I wasn't expecting the crystal to be so thick, approx 3mm at the edge and must be 3.5mm at the domed centre!
    crystal13.JPG

4. Toothpick

Toothpick #2 since day #1 Founding Member

5. MotoMike

MotoMike Founding Member

Result!
    Is that a screw down crown? Always worried after a going through like that that it is still water tight. assembling empty and submerging I think was the old drill, but each time you open the case, you don't know for sure when you put it back if it is still intact.

Looks great.

6. When I was a child I also fixed two of father's Seiko watches. I removed all the excess parts from the inside so that watches became lighter. The downside is they never worked, but who cares about such things?

Impressive work. And I know whom to send broken watches…

7. Yep screw down crown Mike, well it used to be as it was faulty when I bought the watch, looks like the thread on the tube is stripped, next job on my list!
    There is a gasket in the tube that the stem goes through that makes it watertight, I actually submerged it with just the crown in and no movement fitted, the barrel I put it in was only about 4 feet deep so no real pressure but enough to see if it's safe doing the washing up with it on:D

8. I remember taking apart an old mechanical watch when I was about 15 years old, springs and parts flew everywhere!! Quartz/Kinetic is about as far as I will go for now:D