1. {Name}
    Welcome to the KKF!
    Please take a moment to register and stop by the New Member Check-In and say hello. We sincerely hope you enjoy your stay and the discussion of all things sharp.
    Feel free to jump right in on the conversation or make your own. We have an edge on life!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Take a look at our new AUCTION SYSTEM

This service is available to all KKFora members to both Bid on and Auction off (Sell)items.
    Dismiss Notice

Debuyer refinsh

Discussion in 'The Off Topic Room' started by MattS, Dec 26, 2014.

1. MattS

MattS Founding Member

After years of use my Debuyer fry pan started flaking its patina. I am going to strip it down and start fresh.

Has any one done this? I am thinking about starting at a 320 sandpaper then just increasing to a 1k finish. Is 320 to low a grit to start?

2. Lefty

Lefty Founding Member

Mine recently did the same thing, Matt. All I did was simmer a bunch of old wine in there (think deglazing), and used a little scraper with some soap, once I poured my deglazing liquid out. From there, I just started fresh, with some oil, etc. The great news is, it's back to where it should be!

3. John Fout

John Fout Founding Member

Any acid and some soap should be able to take it off. Try not to scratch the metal very deep. Have fun with it!

4. MattS

MattS Founding Member

Thank you gents. I will try the wine route first, if that does not work I will try some citric acid or something.

5. daveb

daveb Founding Member

The Korin "Sandclean" fine grit scrubber keeps my de Buyer and cast iron clean and slick while retaining the seasoning. If I feel any bumps I'll use a medium scrubber then do quick 1-coat reseason. Works fine, lasts a long time.

6. Rick

Rick aka Pensacola Tiger Founding Member Gold Contributor

If the wine doesn't work, try oven cleaner, but do it outside.