1. {Name}
    Welcome to the KKF!
    Please take a moment to register and stop by the New Member Check-In and say hello. We sincerely hope you enjoy your stay and the discussion of all things sharp.
    Feel free to jump right in on the conversation or make your own. We have an edge on life!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Take a look at our new AUCTION SYSTEM

This service is available to all KKFora members to both Bid on and Auction off (Sell)items.
    Dismiss Notice

Cutting videos

Discussion in 'Tansu Knives' started by chefcomesback, Sep 21, 2015.

1. chefcomesback

chefcomesback Founding Member

Recently in other forum there was a thread to claim or more stereotype the custom knives as "fancy handled knives that are finished better and don't cut well " . I am sure they are not so good performers out there and I am sure they are knives finished better but until I get the passaround knife finished I can share the cutting abilities of one of my knives through a video .This is the 255mm western gyuto vs potatoes
    Enjoy

The other parts of the knife cut and release at the same ease , I can do another video of you would like to see more

2. Mrmnms

Mrmnms Founding Member Gold Contributor

The food release on the knife I tried was as good as anything I've used. It was a huge difference from your early knives and better than many others I own or have tried. A+

3. chefcomesback

Thanks Mike but earlier knives ? LOL , it has been just a year since I made that gyuto for Al , I think they all are early at this stage :)

4. Mrmnms

Mrmnms Founding Member Gold Contributor

You have come a long , long way Mert

5. Looks a great cutter Mert. I'm hoping to get into your list next year.

A better question though what is that cutting board? And where did you get it

6. chefcomesback

Thank you Mike

7. chefcomesback

It's iron bark , got it from local handmade crafts market for about $40-50. It is slab of wood literally , It is not as soft but very durable and doesn't stain or absorb flavour as easy as the softer boards

8. Thought so. My in laws have a hunk of it as a cutting boarf that is from an old wharf (i think). Really want to find one myself. Probably not as nice on an edge but it will last forever. And looks magnificent

9. Looking good brother Mert!

10. cheflarge

cheflarge Founding Member

I have had great success with food release from the couple of Tansu blades I have! :cool:

11. chefcomesback

Thanks brother

12. chefcomesback

Thanks Al

13. chefcomesback

This is a 210mm gyuto I am about to finish , it HAS NOT BEEN SHARPENED ,from the belts . Still have to sharpen and hand finish it . I hope it will give and idea about the cutting performance even at the state it is , just going to cut better once finished , hand forged from 52100 with very thin tip and very good distal taper .

14. MotoMike

MotoMike Founding Member

That looks awsome. That tip seems to slide through effortlessly. Mert, what do you do that caused such good release? surface of the grind, convexity? Secret sauce?:k

15. I find food release to be about 60/40 technique/grind. Keeping the knife moving and using the distal taper to your advantage will make even a mediocre knife look good. That said, I know Mert's got some definite work going on with the grind, and his knives are anything but mediocre ;).

16. XooMG

XooMG Founding Member

Spray-on Teflon.

17. chefcomesback

I think it is the geometry of the blade

18. chefcomesback

Why I didn't think of that ?

19. chefcomesback

Cris ,
    I find the grind more important than the technique yet with faster cutting you will make it look better than actually how it performs. Still has to be an above average knife to make it look good though . I have tried not to cut too fast and used basic push cut to demonstrate the expected release.
    I also like to think there is something going on in my grind :)

20. Love me some Mert Tansu knives. (best knife I have had the chance to use)