1. {Name}
    Welcome to the KKF!
    Please take a moment to register and stop by the New Member Check-In and say hello. We sincerely hope you enjoy your stay and the discussion of all things sharp.
    Feel free to jump right in on the conversation or make your own. We have an edge on life!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Take a look at our new AUCTION SYSTEM

This service is available to all KKFora members to both Bid on and Auction off (Sell)items.
    Dismiss Notice

Cutting ironwood stump up for scales / handles

Discussion in 'Brock Cutlery' started by Mark Brock, Aug 13, 2019.

1. For those interested, I did a time lapse vid of me cutting up a 75 lb ironwood stump I found at a garage sale.
    That last Western Gyuto I posted the other day has scales from this stump. Overall a pretty amazing bunch of wood. :)

2. Toothpick

Toothpick #2 since day #1 Founding Member

Very cool! How long did it take you in real time?
    Also, what kind of respirator are you wearing? I’m in the market for one to wear when I mess with the scroll saw.

3. I want to say that was about 90 minutes. My wife can't stand to watch this fast motion. Makes it look like I was carelessly cutting away. :) In reality the cutting was very very slow on that thick ironwood.
    Just about destroyed that $200 blade too. But I got a lot of other cutting use out of it. And the ironwood I got out of it is worth more than that. Below is another bit of it I am messing with in a spatula for my cast iron cooking. Much of the wood is just flawless as far as cracks or inclusions.

That is the standard filter you can find at Lowes or Home Depot. 3M They make various cartridges for it. This is the simple dust filter one.

Spatula1.jpg

4. Toothpick

Toothpick #2 since day #1 Founding Member

I was about to say that it had to have ruined the blade. Ironwood is around 3500 pound of force on the Janka test I believe. Oak would be in the 1500 area I think. I can tell a big difference from cutting Pine to cutting Oak. I’d need a new saw if I had to cut Ironwood!

5. butch

butch Founding Member

super cool

6. I used to cut it with an old craftsman hobby bandsaw old school. It could take me 15 minutes to make a single cut through a 2 by 2 by 8 inch piece. Crazy slow.
    I paid up for this saw and blade and never looked back. It's amazing!

7. Jim

Jim Old Curmudgeon Founding Member

8. butch

butch Founding Member

mark im totaly looking to upgrade to a larger resaw type band saw as over the years i have seen a need to cut more then 8 inch thick blocks (have a large wood lathe now ) and i found a saw that takes 10' blades that are the same as my metal cutting saw so i would be able to swap out blades and only have to stock one size but coudl have many TPI options

9. You won't be sorry if you do much cutting Butch.