1. {Name}
    Welcome to the KKF!
    Please take a moment to register and stop by the New Member Check-In and say hello. We sincerely hope you enjoy your stay and the discussion of all things sharp.
    Feel free to jump right in on the conversation or make your own. We have an edge on life!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Take a look at our new AUCTION SYSTEM

This service is available to all KKFora members to both Bid on and Auction off (Sell)items.
    Dismiss Notice

corellware corningware alternate

Discussion in 'The Off Topic Room' started by MotoMike, Sep 1, 2018.

1. MotoMike

MotoMike Founding Member

We've had a set of pure white corelle by corning dishes and plates for a long time. I think they are perfect in the following ways. they look good enough, they are thin, they are light and they take serious abuse, they take little space.

Rhonda inexplicitly likes to periodically change things. initially she has no reason for the change, then over time and thought she develops various reasons necessitating the change. despite my protestations to the contrary I arrived home to find that we now have half the number of dishes, taking up more space and weighing more. In fact there is not enough room for them all and some are sitting on the counter. So now begins the process which will take around a year where she decides it was not a good idea. since our corningware is gone, new corningware or similar will have to be purchased. one of her reasons for the 38 year old corning ware needing to be replaced was that maybe 2 of the dishes had nearly invisible chips along the edge. since we had two sets with places for 12, this was not an issue to me. I simply placed those two at the bottom of the stack and they will rarely see service.

I know I've taken my sweet time getting here, but is there a form factor similar that is also robust , light and durable like the Corelle? I really don't like our current stuff, the time table might be moved up.

2. Jim

Jim Old Curmudgeon Founding Member

3. MotoMike

MotoMike Founding Member

Thanks Jim

4. Spaz

Spaz Founding Member

Our stuff does need replacing. Cheap, old wedding gift stuff. Let us know what you find Mike, I might be right behind you in line.

5. larrybard

larrybard Founding Member

Melamine?

6. Lucretia

Lucretia Founding Member

They still make Corelle, although I don't know if it's the same. They have a pure white in square dishes. You get your Corelle, she gets something a little different. And if you still have serving pieces, etc, they'll match.

7. MotoMike

MotoMike Founding Member

I'm guessing that the real china that is on the thinnish side is fragile?

8. butch

butch Founding Member

had not thought about that stuff in years but it was good and i can see how if they made a few different styles and colors it could take off in sales again with every one wanting to shrink down space needed in house

9. MotoMike

MotoMike Founding Member

Ugh really disliking this new stuff.

10. Spaz

Spaz Founding Member

Have thought the same thing as I've sporadically looked around for about the last year now.
    I figure I'll come across something that catches my attention, and I won't have to sell a kidney to to pay for, sooner or later.