1. {Name}
    Welcome to the KKF!
    Please take a moment to register and stop by the New Member Check-In and say hello. We sincerely hope you enjoy your stay and the discussion of all things sharp.
    Feel free to jump right in on the conversation or make your own. We have an edge on life!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Take a look at our new AUCTION SYSTEM

This service is available to all KKFora members to both Bid on and Auction off (Sell)items.
    Dismiss Notice

Cooking With Friends

Discussion in 'Food and Drink' started by James, Sep 16, 2015.

1. Bill T

Bill T Founding Member

Well Lucretia's meal looked obscenely delicious that's for sure..:)
    Any one else have anything?

I'm going shopping today for ingredients to make Escarole soup.
    My wife got the recipe from one of her elderly customers on her Postal route.
    It's not really detailed...no amounts, times etc..Just basic ingredients and direction.

This was definitely a favorite growing up. Man, I wish I paid more attention when my mom cooked..... :(
    She made it with little meatballs and white beans as well as the escarole..

I guess I'll post it if anyone is interested.
    Or if any have their own recipe for it, post it up!

2. Bill T

Bill T Founding Member

A picture of the recipe...

[​IMG]

See what I mean..??

3. Toothpick

Toothpick #2 since day #1 Founding Member

4. Bill T

Bill T Founding Member

I'll be making this tomorrow night for dinner.
    I'll try to take pics of the process.
    Hoping I at least get it close to what I remember....if not, I'm sure the next time, with tweaks will nail it.
    But I think, like so many dishes, it's wide open to interpretation, so I'm not worried.

5. Toothpick

That's how both my parents always cooked growing up, and still do. No exact measurements or time. "you just know".
    I never missed a meal!

6. Jim

Jim Old Curmudgeon Founding Member

7. Jeffery Hunter

Jeffery Hunter Founding Member

Classic recipe. Escoffiers entire le guide culinare is just like that. Nothing but a list of ingredients and some directions

8. Bill T

Bill T Founding Member

Well, here it is. Escarole soup.
    Remember, I just started my cooking journey...
    I know it's not a big deal to most, but to me it's unbelievable that I've gone past just boiling water...

[​IMG]

And it was delicious...

9. Toothpick

10. Lucretia

Lucretia Founding Member

I'm going to have to try some of that. It looks wonderful for a rainy cold day. It also looks like something that will get better after a day or so in the fridge.

11. Bill T

Bill T Founding Member

It was delicious as stated.
    I'm going to post a somewhat more definitive recipe for it should anyone like.
    I remember my Mom making it with Cannellini beans....this one with Pasta wound up soaking up almost every drop of soup even before I got the leftovers in the fridge.
    It kind of made it an Escarole stew....still delicious though.

12. Lucretia

Lucretia Founding Member

FINALLY! The grocery had some escarole that wasn't brown and crushed. This will be good to have in the fridge for quick meals over the holidays.

13. Mrmnms

Mrmnms Founding Member Gold Contributor

Looks perfect Bill

14. Lucretia

Lucretia Founding Member

OK, that's a soup to add to the rotation. Made a few minor changes but it's a really good soup. Added some tomatoes put up over the summer, added beans, used some potatoes withering on the counter instead of pasta. And there's some leftover that should be even better with a little age.

Escarole1.jpg

Made some garlic knots to go with the soup because it was an excuse to have garlic knots. I think my yeast is getting old, but they were still tasty.

Escarole2.jpg

Thanks for the inspiration, Bill! We haven't had escarole soup before, but it's definitely one to have again.

15. Lucretia, there's never NOT a good time for garlic knots. Garlic knots need no excuse!

16. I really need to start writing down some recipes instead of just a little of this and a little of that, sure I know how to do it and make it taste good, that is my profession of course, not saying other people don't but it would help when someone asks about how long and at what temp? answer "till it's done" haha

17. Bill T

Bill T Founding Member

That looks Delicious Lucretia !!!