1. {Name}
    Welcome to the KKF!
    Please take a moment to register and stop by the New Member Check-In and say hello. We sincerely hope you enjoy your stay and the discussion of all things sharp.
    Feel free to jump right in on the conversation or make your own. We have an edge on life!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Take a look at our new AUCTION SYSTEM

This service is available to all KKFora members to both Bid on and Auction off (Sell)items.
    Dismiss Notice

Cooking With Friends

Discussion in 'Food and Drink' started by James, Sep 16, 2015.

1. Taylor

Taylor Professional Craftsman Founding Member

This sounds like fun. I'm game to give it a try :)

2. James

James smarter then your average duck Founding Member Gold Contributor

so anyone have anything they want to share for the weekend ?

3. James

you know i do have a major hole in my game... seafood, particularly fish, i haven't cooked much with it and what i have done was pretty basic... i would love to learn more fish dishes

4. Jeffery Hunter

Jeffery Hunter Founding Member

planning on Pan seared salmon on squid ink pasta for Wed. James. I will be sure to document it for you and try to do it live but when I'm cooking it will be around 2 pm for you out east.

5. James

im not even sure where I would find squid ink.... ill have a look out for it though

6. Robinw

Robinw Founding Member

This sounds like a very cool idea. I will cook whatever you choose to publish, but in my own time zone...

7. Lucretia

Lucretia Founding Member

I'm planning to make some Fast Eddie's Italian Meat this weekend for sammies to be eaten with football. It's super easy and involves dumping cans of stuff in with a garlic-studded roast and cooking for several hours. It's not pretty, but makes really tasty sandwiches if anyone's interested in that as a simple starter. It's also something that can be made ahead.

Here's the basic recipe. I get 2 jars of sliced peperoncinis and just dump them in, juice and all. I also use different cuts of meat--sometimes a shoulder roast, this time a sirloin tip. Whatever is on sale. And I don't bother cutting the tips off the garlic. AndI use provolone instead of mozzarella. You can use what makes you happy.

Fast Eddie's Italian Meat (from Jim Philips, Orlando, FL radio personality)
    1. Take a 3 to 4 lb bottom round roast
    2. Cut off all the fat
    3. Using a knife, make many slits in the meat (20-30 slits)
    4. Use 1 clove of garlic per pound of meat. Cut off the green tips of the garlic, and slice the garlic razor thin. Put the thin slices in the slits of the beef.
    5. Put the beef in a roasting pan and pour in one 12-ounce can of beer.
    6. Add one can of beef broth
    7. Take two 16-ounce jars of peppercini peppers. Remove all the stems from the peppers and add them to the pan along with the juice from ONE HALF to ONE FULL JAR of the peppercini peppers. (Eddie chops his peppers, Jim does not.)
    8. Cover and cook in oven at 225 degrees for 4-5 hours.
    9. Cut a piece of Italian bread lengthwise, cover with the meat and peppers. Add some mozzarella cheese and broil until cheese is melted.
    10. Enjoy Fast Eddie's Italian meat

8. Lucretia

Lucretia Founding Member

OK, I started without you.

Here are all the ingredients and tools you'll need except a big oven-safe pot with a lid:

FastEddie1.jpg

You could use your knife or teeth to open cans and bottles, but I don't recommend it.

FastEddie2.jpg

Meat trimmed of fat and stuck full of garlic slices.

FastEddie3.jpg

Beer, peppers, broth added. Put on lid, stick in in the oven, and cook until falling apart tender. Probably around 4-5 hours. I'm going to make it today, shred the meat and put it back in the cooking juice, and put it in the refrigerator tonight. The flavor will improve and I'll be able to skim off any fat that hardens on the surface.

FastEddie4.jpg

We like ours on home made rolls, so before starting on the meat, mixed up some dough. The dough got to autolyse while prepping then meat, then time to do a little kneading for another rise.

9. James

sorry i was at work until two then had a friend who was in need of a favour i just got home and haven't been shopping yet

10. cheflarge

cheflarge Founding Member

Food looks great...... But that gorgeous gyuto on Lucretia's board..... Now that is stunning!!! :) :cool: ;) :cool1

11. James

Ive never looked for peperoncini before what is it

12. Mrmnms

Mrmnms Founding Member Gold Contributor

Pickled pepper. I will definitely try this when the weather cools. Looks awesome.

13. Lucretia

Lucretia Founding Member

Just checked the meat--still feeling pretty tough after a little over 4 hours. Maybe the thermostat in the oven is off. Or maybe I usually cook it at a little higher temperature than the recipe calls for--haven't made this for a while. Good thing it's for football viewing tomorrow and not for dinner tonite! It can stay in the oven for a while longer.

Bumped the temperature up to 250, too. Probably would start it there next time.

Last edited: Sep 26, 2015
  14. Lucretia

Lucretia Founding Member

There! That's done enough. Told you it isn't pretty.

FastEddie5.jpg

Now all shredded up, with the scary bits and gristle removed (but keep all that garlic!) It'll get covered with the juice and refrigerated until lunch or dinner tomorrow. All the peppers and rest of the juice get refrigerated separately, so if you don't like peppers you don't have to have them on your sandwich.

FastEddie6.jpg

15. Lucretia

Lucretia Founding Member

Thank you, sir! It's my favorite for anything involving a lot of garlic. It can do this in a hurry:

Garlic.jpg

16. James

that's s lot of garlic

17. Lucretia

Lucretia Founding Member

Have been busy and had other things that needed to be cooked, so the meat's just been soaking in that tasty beer/pepper juice. Will be all the better for it when we make sammies.

The late great Dom Deluise said it best--"You can't have too much sex and you can't have too much garlic. But if you have too much garlic, you probably won't have any sex."

18. Lucretia

Lucretia Founding Member

OK, finally got back to this. The recipe calls for putting the hot meat on a roll and sticking it under the broiler to melt the cheese. Since I've had it sitting in the fridge overnight, I put a sandwich sized pile of meat on foil, top it with the cheese, and stick it in a 350-375 F oven until the cheese is melted and started to brown. (It's also a lot more forgiving than the broiler if you get distracted.) The rolls get split and go in the oven to toast up a bit, and peppers and juice for dunking get warmed up. (Got a little too much juice in there when the meat got scooped out, but it won't hurt anything.)

FastEddie7.jpg

Get a little bowl of juice for dipping and a dark beer and you're set.

FastEddie8.jpg

19. James

my inner Keanu just said
    "WHOA"

20. Toothpick

Toothpick #2 since day #1 Founding Member