1. {Name}
    Welcome to the KKF!
    Please take a moment to register and stop by the New Member Check-In and say hello. We sincerely hope you enjoy your stay and the discussion of all things sharp.
    Feel free to jump right in on the conversation or make your own. We have an edge on life!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Take a look at our new AUCTION SYSTEM

This service is available to all KKFora members to both Bid on and Auction off (Sell)items.
    Dismiss Notice

Cody Paul Sayas

Discussion in 'The Kitchen Knife' started by Dave Martell, Feb 19, 2017.

1. Dave Martell

Dave Martell Professional Craftsman Founding Member

A couple of months ago I had the opportunity to check out a custom saya made for one of my Martell sujihikis. The knife has a koa handle and the saya was made to match it.

Unfortunately I didn't think to take a picture at the time but I found this one on the interwebs...

[​IMG]

I'll attest that as nice as that picture shows the saya to be it looks (and matches the handle) even better in person. The koa used is of very nice quality - no skimping there at all. That's nice but what really made me want to make this post is the quality of the saya overall, and specifically, how well it fit the knife.

I can't speak high enough praise for how well the blade fit into the saya and the saya to the bolster/hilt. There was absolutely no....none....zero....wiggle in the blade at any point along insertion and an equal pressure/friction felt along the length up until the friction increase right at the bolster.....but..... yet there were no scratches/scuffs in the blade even though it's been in and out (and used) often. I have to say that this fit was so nice to witness/feel that I found myself sliding the knife in and out of the saya while talking to the owner for 5 mins or so, it was just that nice!

I'm really not one to make posts like this, maybe the last time I did this was when I found the BoardSMITH on ebay all those years ago, but this guy is good and deserves some praise. And by the way, I don't know Cody, never met him or even talked to him online, I've only spoke to his work here.

If you need a saya then I'd recommend considering a custom from him. [​IMG]

See https://www.facebook.com/thegingerninja.abq/

*Note - I don't know anything about his production sayas. I've only seen a custom version, and then only the one, so please take that into account.

2. MattS

MattS Founding Member

Second Daves note, I have two and a third coming from Cody. Great craftsmanship and a good guy to work with. Here is another one he did (one of these days I will learn how to use a camera)
    Perfect fit!

[​IMG]