1. {Name}
    Welcome to the KKF!
    Please take a moment to register and stop by the New Member Check-In and say hello. We sincerely hope you enjoy your stay and the discussion of all things sharp.
    Feel free to jump right in on the conversation or make your own. We have an edge on life!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Take a look at our new AUCTION SYSTEM

This service is available to all KKFora members to both Bid on and Auction off (Sell)items.
    Dismiss Notice

Choosing the right leather for a Jacket

Discussion in 'The Off Topic Room' started by apathetic, May 16, 2014.

1. apathetic

apathetic Founding Member

I want to get or make a sporty leather jacket, in the same style as vintage motorbike jackets and I am wondering which leather to choose... Anybody knows his leathers?

I am looking for a tough jacket I can use everyday without the need to baby it.

2. apathetic

As far as I have seen horse-hide is loved when it comes to these jackets notably with Horween FQCT horsehide and Shinki Horsehide getting the most love.
    Anybody has experience with these?
    How do they compare to say cow or buffalo hide?
    Anybody has some recommendation or advice?
    Thanks!

3. MotoMike

MotoMike Founding Member

when you say vintage motorbike jacket you can cover a lot of ground. Do you want the jacket purpose built for motorcycling? I ask because those built for that purpous are lengthened in the back and arms to cover you while in a crouched riding position.
    That said, I've like the looks of this one for a good long while. It is reminiscent of the Barbour waxed cotton motorbike jackets of the day.

http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com/51350/i/tour-master-lawndale-leather-jacket

I've had Tour Master gloves and found them to be well made and a good value.

As to leather, Z custom leathers used to make their stuff out of deer which is more flexible but surprisingly tough. Z however makes more sporty modern type stuff and i don't think anything that could be called vintage look.

good luck.

4. William Catcheside

William Catcheside Founding Member

5. Jim

Jim Old Curmudgeon Founding Member

Classic non biker bike jacket is the Schott 141. Just about perfect design I have found.

6. apathetic

I used to have a motorbike, but not anymore... at least not these days. I think I am likely to get one again at some point though.
    So I want a vintage motorbike leather jacket for everyday use because I like the style. But you can bet that it will be the jacket I use when I get a motorbike again :)

Yeah the Z custom leather look too recent, looking for something more classic, thanks for the links :)

That looks like what I'm looking for, the Thunder classics looks very cool as well!

Classic Cafe racer, this design is timeless!

So I am hesitating between a classic cafe racer something like this:
    http://www.aeroleatherclothing.com/product-detail.php?id=62

Or something similar with a collar:
    http://www.aeroleatherclothing.com/product-detail.php?id=1

Not necessarily from this company as they seem very pricey, but they have a very nice range of models.

Wondering if I should not source the leather myself, as I would be sure of its quality. The problem with buying ready-made jackets is that you are never sure what the construction quality is like. I am looking for something to last me a few decades :)

7. MotoMike

MotoMike Founding Member

I guess it depends which company you choose. I have had a few leather items that had made in Pakistan on them. But if you bought from a company like Schott, you would not have to worry about quality. I have considered their classic pea coat and did quite a bit of research. they make top quality and stand behind their products. of course quality costs.

8. I road a Harley for 12 years when I was a young biker back in fairfield Calif . and the best leather jacket you can get is buffalo. there was a company called california creations back in the day and I bought mine from them this is 35 years ago and back then I paid 500 I still have it, it's a little tight but still looks great anyone care to see me in bicker mode .

9. apathetic

Thanks David!
    That's what I am looking for, a jacket I can wear everyday and that will still be around in the future. I am going to look into buffalo see where I can get the best quality.