1. {Name}
    Welcome to the KKF!
    Please take a moment to register and stop by the New Member Check-In and say hello. We sincerely hope you enjoy your stay and the discussion of all things sharp.
    Feel free to jump right in on the conversation or make your own. We have an edge on life!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Take a look at our new AUCTION SYSTEM

This service is available to all KKFora members to both Bid on and Auction off (Sell)items.
    Dismiss Notice

Chicken Kebabs, South Indian style.

Discussion in 'Food and Drink' started by zwiefel, Jan 25, 2015.

1. zwiefel

zwiefel Rest in peace brother

Spent the day with a friend cooking a delicious South Indian meal. I had not tried most of these dishes before, none of the kebabs, nor the chutney, and not this version of a daal.

We made: hariyali murgh kebabs (green chicken), malai murgh kebabs (cream chicken), brinjal + dosakai chutney (eggplant and a type of matured Indian cucumber), cumin and curry-leaf scented rice, raitha, and spinach daal.

Getting the marinade started. here we've applied the spice mix and are letting it sit while we prep the next layer.
    [​IMG]

Wilting the greenery for the hariyali, with a dip in some hot water.
    [​IMG]

I had not seen this technique before.
    [​IMG]

It produce kind of an irregular, mince but with much more weeping than cutting would produce.
    [​IMG]

The wilted greens and chiles, going into the grinder.
    [​IMG]

The final product.
    [​IMG]

Adding a layer of Yogurt.
    [​IMG]

And, finally, the layer of green.
    [​IMG]

Red onion and cucumber (the standard variety used in the US) for the raitha
    [​IMG]

This is Dosakai, a matured type of cucumber that is common in Andhra Pradesh. These have been peeled and seeded exactly as one expects for cucumbers. They are very firm, bordering on crunchy, and have a sourish taste. They will make for a great contrast in the chutney.
    [​IMG]

Eggplant, going into the skillet to soften it a bit.
    [​IMG]

Tarka for the rice. Cumin and curry leaves.
    [​IMG]

The eggplant, greens, tomatoes, and spices after coming out of the pan. Ready for a trip through the grinder.
    [​IMG]

Fairly coarse grind. The dosakai will be sauteed in a separate pan and added to this as a dice. making for a nice contrast of color and texture.
    [​IMG]

The kebabs are assembled and ready for the grill.
    [​IMG]

Searing in batches, then pushing to the back to be hot-smoked once they are all seared.
    [​IMG]

The finished plate...except the raitha.
    [​IMG]

2. Toothpick

Toothpick #2 since day #1 Founding Member

3. zwiefel

zwiefel Rest in peace brother

Ha! I also shared this on my cooking page on facebook and someone said the same thing!