1. {Name}
    Welcome to the KKF!
    Please take a moment to register and stop by the New Member Check-In and say hello. We sincerely hope you enjoy your stay and the discussion of all things sharp.
    Feel free to jump right in on the conversation or make your own. We have an edge on life!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Take a look at our new AUCTION SYSTEM

This service is available to all KKFora members to both Bid on and Auction off (Sell)items.
    Dismiss Notice

Chef Shoe Question for you Industry Types

Discussion in 'The Off Topic Room' started by John Fout, Nov 2, 2016.

1. John Fout

John Fout Founding Member

Anyone use and abuse some customish boots or shoes?

Looking at some Daytons, Truman's or Aldens... Oil finish, non slip* soles.

Anyone have better luck with high end footwear ? I go through 2-3 pair of Blundstone boots and burned through Danskos faster. Shoes for crews are out. I'm lucky to get a month out of a pair. Same with Mozos.

2. MattS

MattS Founding Member

SFC always lasted me about 6 months. Had bad luck with Dansko. I ended up going with Sanita clogs, had about 18 months out of them. Best longevity I ever had from a clog.

3. John Fout

Sanita used to make Dansko when they were made in Sweden. After Dansko went to China, Sanita put out their own.

I owned both. Both stretched out too much even after starting tight. Tried the newer Dansko models the foot bed just wears out.

Crocs help the feet but my knees and back hurt more. And friends don't let friends wear crocs

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

4. MotoMike

MotoMike Founding Member

:cool1

5. MotoMike

MotoMike Founding Member

I am in a different industry, but like my Danner versions of the Blundstones.

6. John Fout

I need to look and see which sole Danner is running...

7. Jim

Jim Old Curmudgeon Founding Member

I cannot add much other than rotating between several pairs can prolong the life of shoes more than wearing them consecutively.

8. MotoMike

MotoMike Founding Member

Just looked mine say Vibram. But when I looked at the catalog, they don't appear to have the Blunny knock offs any more.

9. John Fout

Yeah, I looked this morning.

I'm thinking hard in getting a pair of Dayton service boots.

Would get another pair of Blundstone to hold me out because the Daytons would take 12 weeks to get here. Then I'd have three to rotate through. Current Blundstone are holding out but they need rotated better.

10. +1 Also, Sanita's are less expensive.

11. John Fout

I got another pair of Blundstone today. Will try to rotate them better. Still thinking hard on the Daytons...

I was mixing it up this last week when my boss was out sick (again) and used my old Danskos. Gave me hot spots and I had to run through on the between shift and switch back. It was a sad day!

12. Chuckles

Chuckles Founding Member

Last edited: Nov 17, 2016
  13. John Fout

14. MotoMike

MotoMike Founding Member

John is the issue being on your feet all day or being on your feet in a particular environment. oil, acid, fat, etc? if mostly being on your feet, how bout a catalog like Galls that deals with public service: cops, firemen, emts. they have lots of high tech and rugged footwear in there.
    http://www.galls.com/popular-law-footwear#page_no=1*

15. John Fout

More for the floors with mixed stuff on them, water, oil etc. I have comfy shoes but they are rollerskates on the kitchen floor. Some soles are better or worse than others. Some non slip are anything but non slip... And I'll blame the plantar fasciaitis on more things than just shoes . then there is the shape of my foot.

16. Also made in Australia and available on eBay with free shipping and way way better than Blundstone are RedBack boots. What blunnies should have been. They actually have a shank and give awesome foot support. The outsole will hold up to fire rescue department hard use.

17. John Fout

Looking them up :)

18. +1 Sanita, which are frequently on sale.