1. {Name}
    Welcome to the KKF!
    Please take a moment to register and stop by the New Member Check-In and say hello. We sincerely hope you enjoy your stay and the discussion of all things sharp.
    Feel free to jump right in on the conversation or make your own. We have an edge on life!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Take a look at our new AUCTION SYSTEM

This service is available to all KKFora members to both Bid on and Auction off (Sell)items.
    Dismiss Notice

cedar for saya?

Discussion in 'The Kitchen Knife' started by MotoMike, Sep 13, 2014.

1. MotoMike

MotoMike Founding Member

I have some cedar left over from some trim work in my addition. Would cedar be ok to use for a saya, or is it too soft/coarse/other?

thanks

2. Andre

Andre Founding Member

Heiji uses it, I think

3. Spaz

Spaz Founding Member

Cedar is a stable hardwood good for just about everything. Cedar post, cedar chest, cedar planks for cooking, >cedar trim<;). I think it would be fine for sayas.

4. Jim

Jim Old Curmudgeon Founding Member

At the least it would be a great start for learning the process. Since you have it already seems that it's a win win.

Good luck Mike.

5. sachem allison

sachem allison Founding Member

us indians been using it for knife sheaths for hundreds of years, no problems.

6. Brad Gibson

Brad Gibson Founding Member

do it. do it. do it.

7. MotoMike

MotoMike Founding Member

Thanks gents
    I used some yesterday to build two bluebird houses with my grandson. plenty left for saya work.

8. BathonUk

BathonUk Founding Member

Hi,

I've made three cedar sayas from cedar I got from Bo on previous JNS gathering. They turned out very well. This cedar was very soft and comfortable to work but you could make a deep scratch or mark with your finger nail.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Now I bought almost 8m of cedar boards, 3cm thick and it is much different. It is way harder than cedar from pictures above. I will be doing three sayas later this week so I can give you update in a few days how it goes.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

9. MotoMike

MotoMike Founding Member

very nice Greg

10. Lefty

Lefty Founding Member

Cedar is nice and hard, but man does it like to splinter, at times. Have fun!

11. MotoMike

MotoMike Founding Member

I must be using a lower grade cedar as I don't find the stuff I have to be especially hard. It is splintery though. I am sure that there is a lot to it. I would like to make one light and close fitting. Of course that probably translates to delicate. Delicate and me don't mix.

12. BathonUk

BathonUk Founding Member

I think that blade entrance can be tight. It won't scratch your blade if it will be smooth. It shouldn't be a problem if you have proper chisels but if you don't then you can polish that part of saya with sand paper and be sure to vacuum all dust before you glue it together. Dust can scratch your blades. I didn't find my cedars to be splintery and as I said before I got cedar from two sources. One was so soft that you could easily make a very deep mark with your finger nail. Another one is on harder side.