1. {Name}
    Welcome to the KKF!
    Please take a moment to register and stop by the New Member Check-In and say hello. We sincerely hope you enjoy your stay and the discussion of all things sharp.
    Feel free to jump right in on the conversation or make your own. We have an edge on life!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Take a look at our new AUCTION SYSTEM

This service is available to all KKFora members to both Bid on and Auction off (Sell)items.
    Dismiss Notice

Bye bye Shigefusa

Discussion in 'The Kitchen Knife' started by bieniek, Apr 10, 2014.

1. bieniek

bieniek Founding Member

So it happened.

My 30 Shig yanagiba got sold on friday. That was the last I had.

I still have some knives, but no more yanagis.

I actually wonder, when the old man dies [Iizuka], how much would I have to pay for a used yanagi lets say 5 years later?

2. schanop

schanop Founding Member

Not quite follow if this is a celebration or a seller remorse :pop

3. EdipisReks

EdipisReks The Picasso of Creepiness Founding Member

I've owned 3 Shigefusas. I have had my fill.

4. Wouldn't mind trying one. But can't afford it. Maybe in few month

5. XooMG

XooMG Founding Member

If Shigefusa worked in low-reactivity steels and cladding, I'd have several. The way it is, I don't even really want one.

6. panda

panda Founding Member

the only shig i would want is a suji (not yanagi), but a las they are too expensive.

7. BathonUk

BathonUk Founding Member

I am thinking about Shigefusa. I just want to have one in my collection, let's say 180mm gyuto. Can you convince me? People still talking about reactivity so is it really worth to spend that much of money only for Shigefusa stamp?

8. Twistington

Twistington Founding Member

I use my 180mm more then expected, I don't find it over the top reactive.

Is it worth it? It won't be a game changer but it's fun to have and it does the things I want it to do. Can bring my 180 with me to the gathering so you can fiddle around with it and find out for yourself(if I remember). :)

9. BathonUk

BathonUk Founding Member

I've seen it last year and I remember you buying it:D I am not sure that Maxim will have one this year. We will see. Thanks Dan.

10. Lucretia

Lucretia Founding Member

My 180mm is extremely reactive, but I wouldn't be without it. None of my knives is as effortless to use on root vegetables. I put a mustard patina on my ajikiri and it seemed to help, but the knife doesn't get used that much so it's hard to really say. I'm thinking about doing it to my gyuto to see if it will help.

11. EdipisReks

EdipisReks The Picasso of Creepiness Founding Member

The reactivity really goes away if you re-finish the knife with sandpaper, in my experience.

12. Antonio

Antonio Founding Member

Reactivity is easily managed IMO, just need and extra watchful eye. But the Gyuto's are still some of the best geometries/grinds out there IMO

13. Spaz

Spaz Founding Member

Always wanted to try a Shig but don't have the funds.

14. Lefty

Lefty Founding Member

They're really nice knives. They have beautiful craftsmanship, feel and very good cutting properties. I'm not in love with the steel, but more because the edge seems to like to be highly polished, and I prefer a toothier one. They're terrific knives for protein and fish, but I cook with a lot of acidic ingredients, and it just didn't work out for me. However, for an understated knife, I've never held one with more of the "it" factor than my Shig Santoku I sold a while back. It was a special knife.

15. bieniek

bieniek Founding Member

No remorse. Im quite happy cause as said before, Im no collector if it aint at work it has to go. And it went. Next off is Kato Masamotos and a few

Even though I wrote the review I did about it, when Im the new Rockefeller, Im going to own one 21cm chefs knife, and plenty of single bevels.

16. Asteger

Asteger Founding Member

:like Exactly my experience, too. I've had 3 (still have 1) and it's seemed normal reactivity-wise for similar knives. But yes the haze does react at first, and it's easily dealt with.

17. hbeernink

hbeernink Founding Member

shigs are gorgeous knives, and I really enjoy the two I have. Reactivity isn't any worse than other knives I use regularly - easily managed

18. Birnando

Birnando Founding Member

I'm heading that way as well.
    Lately I've been using single bevels more and more, and find both using and honing them much more satisfying.
    I did say heading though, I am expecting a new Gyoto that I will pick up down at Maksim's;)
    A Shig no less, so no bye bye Shig for me. Yet!

19. Asteger

Asteger Founding Member

Yes. With sharpening, at least, they're more enjoyable.

20. The Shig is seeing a lot of use and i am very happy with it. And the Takeda is a great cutter now after you hours of thinning it. :cool1