1. {Name}
    Welcome to the KKF!
    Please take a moment to register and stop by the New Member Check-In and say hello. We sincerely hope you enjoy your stay and the discussion of all things sharp.
    Feel free to jump right in on the conversation or make your own. We have an edge on life!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Take a look at our new AUCTION SYSTEM

This service is available to all KKFora members to both Bid on and Auction off (Sell)items.
    Dismiss Notice

Brace yourself! A brand new review is coming up online...

Discussion in 'The Kitchen Knife' started by bieniek, Aug 29, 2014.

1. bieniek

bieniek Founding Member

...And this time is something special.

From the 17th generation airborne body builder, or at least from what hes saying, a blade from the best smith ever, in the whole universe!!!!
    I dont know how this generosity licked me so much and I am so happy to have this blade to play with, but fuc k me guys, I kind of hope he doesnt use computer, which I know he does, cause this thing is not going to be gentle!
    I dont know yet how about sharpening and polishing of the softer iron - cause its this that reveals all the truth about the smithing imho, but two things I can tell you straight away:

1. The previous owner sharpened back side at an angle not flat
    2. Its not looking too good judging by the aesthetics alone

LOL

2. Please explain.

3. I have a feeling this is about a Takeda...not sure why, lol.

Also bieniek!...as soon as my shop's back up (a week or two)...you guys will be getting a passaround started. Just thought I'd let you know!

:D

4. XooMG

XooMG Founding Member

I'd have guessed Carter...

5. Brad Gibson

Brad Gibson Founding Member

since takeda doesnt make singles and carter very rarely does. but carter is a 17th generation so maybe youre right. if its an abused carter single bevel its a damn shame. but cheers to you for trying to repair it. id sent it to someone with a wheel so they could repair the ura before you try yourself.

6. Actually yes, probably Murray. The reason I thought Takeda was that I just read the thread about under/overrated knives, and bieneik was involved in a similar back and forth discussion regarding its geometry with another guy.

7. chefcomesback

chefcomesback Founding Member

I don't know if he uses computer or not but him or his assistant are keeping eye on Instagram, I had commented on leftys page about carters taste in handle material selection and I was busted , he left me a comment to "play nice " I am curious about the one you got, any pics ?

8. Wagner the Wehrwolf

Wagner the Wehrwolf Founding Member

LOL! Always pushing the envelope.

9. bieniek

bieniek Founding Member

[​IMG]

Love the marketing...

Then lets take a moment to explain my philosophy, which is very simple: more expensive tool = more better tool. Now, how simple is that huh?
    Other part says: I am not in any business relationship with any of the vendors on any of the internet forums. This allows me to talk shite about any producer and any product. And I will continue doing so until I feel the product is the said shite.
    I dont hate Murray Carter in any way. I dont wish him bad at all, I dont really think about him anymore since from the Murray@cartercutlery.com his apprentice Jason answered that "Murray dont make debas anymore, he just doesnt".
    How come I write to Murray and Jason answers?
    But that will not reallign my famous objectiveness and opinion, isnt it? :jump

Before the review can start, I took some time to just stare at the blade and check it thoroughly.
    This knife is literally new. It was used a few times but theres no sign of serious abuse or repairs.
    You can see in the pictures that the back is something like half opened, the tip is totally lost. Untouched, no wonder a little tiny bit is missing. Polishing also could be done better but best bet would be the bevel is not flattened enough thats why

The rest of the blade? Twisted a little, the heel is bent inwards a tiny bit. At this point me thinks what about the love for the metallurgy ??
    Now I just have to mention the dodgy polishing. I dont know how much this blade sold for when new, but my estimate would be around 600-800 bucks. For that money, please, can someone explain why the polishing job is sooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo BAD.
    Seriously, its bad overall, its bad from every angle. Its just bad. Its the type of polishing you get on the 60 dollars cheapo deba from ebay.
    And if youre the best smith in the world, why would you use a apprentice polisher?
    [​IMG]

And this, why if youre really passionate about what youre doing, the line between hagane and jigane on the back, is not funky, straight or in any other way neat? Instead you get a line of a masamoto KK standard. Or a cheapo from ebay?

The handle is not epoxied in place, which means theres some rust signs, handle itself is nice and hefty I like it, would pay extra for that particular piece but hey everyones different.

Check it out!
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

More as I start to sharpen and polish and get this into working order, cause now its as far away from it as possible.
    Given how little use it seen.

I really hope that the sharpness of this white steel will knock my socks off. Or other, Will rip my legs out my arse!
    And polishing will feel as good an on the Hides or Dois.

I really do wish, or its a time wasted

10. XooMG

XooMG Founding Member

Is that actually a Carter knife? Looks like the Shiro brand stuff from Japanese makers (Shiraki) he imports.

Last edited: Aug 29, 2014
  11. Rick

Rick aka Pensacola Tiger Founding Member Gold Contributor

Exactly. "Shiro" brand knives by Kenichi Shiraki.

http://www.cartercutlery.com/shiro/

12. Brad Gibson

This is not a carter at all. It would have his mark on it if it were.

13. Wagner the Wehrwolf

Wagner the Wehrwolf Founding Member

I agree it should have his three circle mark. BUT, disallowing who made it, everything else you have said seems to be very accurate based on the pictures you posted. And even if not Carter made, there is association. So please, continue your review.

14. bieniek

bieniek Founding Member

But Hey, how simple is that, Murray Carter SAID:

Although I have made close to one hundred kata-ha blades in Shiraki's style, I have realized that it takes thousands to master what is the uncontested world's most complex blade to make properly. Compared to my hundred blades, Mr. Shiraki has made more than 700,000 kata-ha blades. (50 years X 60 blades/day. In his prime he could forge over 250 blades per day, so this estimate is very conservative). Kenichi Shiraki has made every possible shape, form and size in this style of blade-forging. To date, he is the only bladesmith in Japan that can successfully complete any quantity of Hitachi White Steel #1 Honyaki blades at will. There is no more difficult blade in the world metallurgicaly.

Besides his intimate knowledge of steel, proper forging temperatures and uncanny sense of timing, Mr. Shiraki ensures the greatest potential in the steel by heat-treating every blade in finely cut pine charcoal. Once the blades are forge-welded, forged, annealed, cold forged and heat-treated, they are sent to professional sharpener's for grinding and polishing.

I am proud to offer my loyal customers kata-ha blades from Japan's finest kata-ha bladesmith Mr Kenichi Shiraki. Carter Cutlery named this brand "Shiro", which is the Kanji character chiseled into the blade. We chose "Shiro" for many reasons; it means "White" which is Murray and Mr. Shiraki's steel of choice, it is the symbol for purity, implies simple elegance and is also the first kanji character of Mr. Shiraki's name!

As an expert in my own field of neck knives and three-layer laminate kitchen knives, I can assure you that you will not find better kata-ha Japanese knives anywhere, at any price!

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 30, 2014
  15. bieniek

bieniek Founding Member

You know Im waiting for it Chris :)
    And Ive been waiting for a loooooooong time.

16. Well, hopefully only a few more weeks :D!

17. bieniek

bieniek Founding Member

I should have done that before, show all of you more respect and Im sorry about that, also with making of a proper pictures, and so I started working on the blade, and also photographing it a little better. And from this point onward, lets get serious and focus on the issues with this mighty girl

Started off with a XC DMT

[​IMG]

Some irregular shinogi here, I really hate how the curve is very "stiff" and "clumsy" instead of being "flowy" and "sexy", also at the heel it hangs out a little too low, so thats the plan, a little facelifting so it'll be a fine blade not a shmock

[​IMG]

Lets check the back, and here it gets funkey,
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

And the tip

[​IMG]

You guys get the idea now right?

18. Brad Gibson

yeah, that does seem like lower quality than i would expect from that blacksmith

19. Jim

Jim Old Curmudgeon Founding Member

Well played Mike! Thanks.

20. I purposely raise the heel of my blades a millimeter or so. Is this a negative for some reason? I like it because it keeps the blade live in your hands, instead of feeling dead on the board.