1. {Name}
    Welcome to the KKF!
    Please take a moment to register and stop by the New Member Check-In and say hello. We sincerely hope you enjoy your stay and the discussion of all things sharp.
    Feel free to jump right in on the conversation or make your own. We have an edge on life!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Take a look at our new AUCTION SYSTEM

This service is available to all KKFora members to both Bid on and Auction off (Sell)items.
    Dismiss Notice

Black steel plate for pizza

Discussion in 'Food and Drink' started by apathetic, Jan 16, 2015.

1. apathetic

apathetic Founding Member

I didn't want to hijack the pizza thread so I put it up here. I found a black steel plate that I think should work as a baking steel, and the question is how do I get rid of mill scale?
    I read that leaving it overnight in white vinegar should do the trick, anybody tried that before. Otherwise how would you do it?

front.jpg

side.jpg

2. Jay

Jay No soup for you Founding Member

Looks like that would make a nice plancha.

3. apathetic

Nobody has any advice?

4. MotoMike

MotoMike Founding Member

Well it looks rougher than the slabs or steel in the pizza ovens I used to use at Hilda's Pizza. The pizzas were cooked on a dusting of corn meal and did not stick to the slab. Do you need to remove the Scale? I would have thought it would require mechanical removal like with an angle head grinder with a stiff wire cup. or similar. Maybe take it to a place that has a sand blaster and clean it up?
    Not in any field that qualifies me to make the suggestion and I didn't even stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night.

5. I'm not sure this would work for your use. When we buy structural steel, if we need a clean surface for welding etc., we torch the scale off. Have you considered just leaving it? Until it flakes it's good protection against corrosion and rust.

6. Lucretia

Lucretia Founding Member

I've heard of using muriatic acid (available at swimming pool supply stores) but it's nasty stuff. It might be worth it to try the vinegar first--definitely safer.

7. MotoMike

MotoMike Founding Member

If you can get by just using it or smoothing it a bit, I'd go that route.

8. Try going to this forum http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/ They're as crazy about pizza as we are about knives. If you can't find the information you need, post a question and you'll get a bunch of answers.

9. apathetic

Thanks for all the answers, will let you know how that goes.

@NMaxy: I know that rust doesn't harm, but is black scale ok? Do you think I could use it as is, after washing it?

Edit: @Steverino: your link is a great ressource! Just answered my questions:
    - Mill scale is not harmful and it can be used as is
    - If I want to get rid of it, leaving it several days to soak in Vinegar should do the trick

10. Just use a some household oil and rub it off.

If you are looking for a bakingsteel in Europe you find it there: bakingsteel.de

11. How much did you pay for that?

12. apathetic

Have been off the forums these last days, I paid it £27.95 including shipping.

Thanks for the info, I ended up using my plate with the mill scale and it works fine