1. {Name}
    Welcome to the KKF!
    Please take a moment to register and stop by the New Member Check-In and say hello. We sincerely hope you enjoy your stay and the discussion of all things sharp.
    Feel free to jump right in on the conversation or make your own. We have an edge on life!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Take a look at our new AUCTION SYSTEM

This service is available to all KKFora members to both Bid on and Auction off (Sell)items.
    Dismiss Notice

Best way to remove pantina

Discussion in 'The Kitchen Knife' started by Nuts63, Oct 14, 2016.

1. Nuts63

Nuts63 Founding Member

I'm looking for the best and easiest way to remove the patina off of a knife

2. Coarse ScotchBrite ( brown/mauve)

3. Nuts63

Nuts63 Founding Member

Won't that scratch the blade ?

4. Sure it is a rather gross method, but if you want to install a fresh, perhaps more homogeneous patina it's great. But perhaps you could explain what knife is concerned, and why you want to remove a patina.

5. Nuts63

Nuts63 Founding Member

I have a gyuto with a nice hamon that I was thinking of putting up for sale so I thought it would sell better with no patina

6. Rick

Rick aka Pensacola Tiger Founding Member Gold Contributor

Method will depend on the depth of the patina and the steel. Try something non-abrasive first, like Metal-Glo, Simichrome or a similar polish. Move on to a slightly abrasive product like BarKeeper's Friend. If those methods fail, you may have to use an abrasive like a ScotchBrite pad or even wet/dry sandpaper.

I see that you posted that you have a knife with a hamon. Removing the patina may also lighten the hamon as well.

7. Nuts63

Nuts63 Founding Member

Thanks for the tips Rick I might try to sell it with the patina on it first and if it doesn't sell then clean it off

8. MotoMike

MotoMike Founding Member

yeah. lets see the pics!

9. Nuts63

Nuts63 Founding Member

How do I post pictures here

10. Toothpick

Toothpick #2 since day #1 Founding Member

Easiest way is to drag and drop them in to a reply box.

You can also click "upload a file" too. Which is right next to Post Reply at the bottom right of the reply box.

11. Spaz

Spaz Founding Member

Both Flitz polish or similar or BarKeeper's Friend have worked well for me in the past without scratching the blade.

12. Yup, Flitz. And if that doesn't work well enough, use Flitz with the finest steel wool (not sure whether that is 4 x A or 5 x A).

13. I use Flitz with soft cotton and rinse shortly afterwards