1. {Name}
    Welcome to the KKF!
    Please take a moment to register and stop by the New Member Check-In and say hello. We sincerely hope you enjoy your stay and the discussion of all things sharp.
    Feel free to jump right in on the conversation or make your own. We have an edge on life!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Take a look at our new AUCTION SYSTEM

This service is available to all KKFora members to both Bid on and Auction off (Sell)items.
    Dismiss Notice

BBQ The thin blue smoke of tastyness

Discussion in 'Food and Drink' started by Jim, Feb 17, 2014.

1. Jim

Jim Old Curmudgeon Founding Member

Its been a hard winter here in the Northeast, I did get some hams on for Christmas that worked out OK.
    Boned out 2 and left 2 bone in.
    [​IMG]

Hoping the spring gets here soon!

Last edited: Jul 5, 2018
  2. Toothpick

Toothpick #2 since day #1 Founding Member

294747_2077047651565_1432823079_n.jpg Every year my parents church puts together a huge BBQ dinner sale. This was from a couple years ago when I helped out but I love this picture. I think there were 18 of them. Carolina & Tennessee style.

3. Jim

Jason you are making my mouth water! Its supposed to warm up next week I hope I can get something on.

4. Toothpick

Toothpick #2 since day #1 Founding Member

I hope so too! My mother makes her homemade coleslaw and my father makes strawberry cake and apple cake. And I just eat. And eat. And eat. And eat.
    They sell it all too!

5. Andy

Andy Founding Member

A couple of pics from prior cooks, am hoping to get some thin blue time in again soon.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

6. Kevin

Kevin Special K Founding Member

20140214_201502.jpg Valentines day pork shoulder

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 8, 2015
  7. James

James smarter then your average duck Founding Member Gold Contributor

man I dont even own a BBQ, a really nice propane grill that if I want a little smoke I cook on wood planks which is always great for fish and game meat. but it just doesnt seem the same.

8. Christopher

Christopher Founding Member

This site is going to kill your wallet worse than the other site LOL.

Don't worry, I'm in the same boat, although I have a pretty good smoker.

9. Spike

Spike Founding Member

I picked up a slab of ribs to Q recently butt the snow was so deep I ended up doing Chinese ribs in the oven instead. No smokey goodness butt the marinade almost made up for it. Now that it's just raining I think I'll try the same marinade over some mesquite!

10. PierreRodrigue

PierreRodrigue Tactical Walrus Founding Member

Fellas, is there an advantage to smoking with whole lump wood/or chips on the coals as opposed to say a smoke pot/pouch? As in when you are using charcoal, and you adding additional smoke flavor.

Also, whats the school of thought on soaking the chips/wood intended for smoke?

11. Kevin

Kevin Special K Founding Member

I don't ever soak my wood and have never had a problem. If you're using those little wood chips I guess it might be necessary to prevent them from burning up too quickly.

I use lump wood, lump charcoal, and no soaking. No complaints yet.

12. Jim

There are whole forums built around a question like this. :confused:

From my point of view, a really clean blue smoke is the best. You cannot achieve that with smouldering wet wood. Purists will say it takes a stick burner to produce that true flavor/ or an open pit type BBQ burning good hardwood. Everything else is just trying to get near that. Chunks in the Weber Kettle does a fair job for me on a simple cook. Hope that helps a little, Bear.

13. PierreRodrigue

PierreRodrigue Tactical Walrus Founding Member

It does, thanks, could never figure why wet wood made good smoke.

14. Jim

Life is to short to shave with a piece of plastic or smoke with wet wood.

15. Andrew

Andrew Have Pen Will Travel Founding Member

I'd rather have a smoker than a grill, I think. I need to get one or the other before spring, though. I miss cooking meat outdoors. I do have a friend with a smoker and a lot of outdoors just down the road, though.

-Andy

16. John Fout

John Fout Founding Member

Andy, build yourself an Ugly Drum Smoker. You can do it. I have faith in you.

17. Andy

Andy Founding Member

+1 some great advice, I haven't built one myself, but they apparently turn out some tasty 'que with very little effort.

18. Jim

I have a few drums waiting for the "right moment" for an ugly drum. The compound needs a smoker, just worried about bears getting into it on those long overnight cooks.

19. Jim

20. Andy

Andy Founding Member

Pastrami made from a corned beef , I believe the cut is referred to as a bottom round.