1. {Name}
    Welcome to the KKF!
    Please take a moment to register and stop by the New Member Check-In and say hello. We sincerely hope you enjoy your stay and the discussion of all things sharp.
    Feel free to jump right in on the conversation or make your own. We have an edge on life!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Take a look at our new AUCTION SYSTEM

This service is available to all KKFora members to both Bid on and Auction off (Sell)items.
    Dismiss Notice

B&B Sue Moore Auction Donation...'WIP'!

Discussion in 'CJA Edged Art / Scorpion Forge' started by CrisAnderson27, Sep 2, 2015.

1. So...as some of you guys saw, I'd done up a donation for the Sue Moore auction for the Breast Cancer Awareness Foundation that Badger & Blade holds every year. The idea was to get something made to contribute to this great cause...and the little Gold Dollar renovation fit the bill perfectly. I think it looks great...it shaves quite nicely, and hopefully it will pull in more than the value of the time and cost that went into it.

That said, I feel that it is within my power to contribute more (I have personal reasons for this as well)...and so, here we are.

The idea is to build a custom razor for the auction...which will be created in what little personal time I currently allow myself, lol. I'm not quite sure of the sizing I'm going to make yet...though I'm certain it will be somewhere between 6/8 and 9/8. I also don't know whether it'll be a 'stubby' like the last 6/8, or a two finger tailed monster like the 9/8 I made prior to that. I have some pink/purple handle wood that would make an appropriate set of scales for it...but even that's up in the air at this point.

So, what do you guys think? Would you be interested in following along on a build like this?

2. Toothpick

Toothpick #2 since day #1 Founding Member

3. Seconded. Motion passed

4. Lol! Well, I've got two on board! Guess we can get the train rolling and everyone else can catch up :p!

5. James

James smarter then your average duck Founding Member Gold Contributor

make that three.... make with the pictures already lol

6. Ok ok!! I'm on it :p!

7. Alrighty, first question...what do you guys think? Pink/purple scales? It fits the auction theme...but I don't know that it'll add anything to the eventual purchase value of the razor, lol.

Here are some of my choices:

BXT104D - 1.12 x 1.15 x 6.34.jpg MAT101D - 1.38 x 1.41 x 9.45.jpg RWT103D – 1.23 X 1.23 X 6.52.jpg
    These three would be coming from AZ Ironwood. I need to get actual pictures in order to verify the color (their pictures are notoriously inaccurate, but they'll accommodate a request for better photos).

My other option is much more purple, but I already have it:

20150902_183915.jpeg

Orrrr.....I could do any of a hundred other colors, from classic to wild. I have some snakewood scales I got from Myron years ago that might be big enough if I do a stubby...as well as some that came from a local vendor. Koa, bog oak, maples of all different colors, buckeye burl, spalted hackberry....

Hmm...

Again...what do you all think?

8. Toothpick

I'm a fan of the pink/purple in picture 1.

For a auction supporting the NBCF I think that's fitting.

But you should work your magic and use what ever you think will look the best

9. I think 1, 2, or 3 will be the tickets yes. I don't mind the pink at all...as you said, I think it will be fitting.

I fired an email to Jake Hightower at Arizona Ironwood to see if I could get some better pictures...so we'll see!

10. Bill T

Bill T Founding Member

Quite a few of previous custom razors in the auction had pink handles.
    There's always numerous auctions where pink is part of the theme ...

11. ya this is amazing... I have watched a few of these auctions over the years and sure there are plenty of bargains but in general nice things tend to bring out the best in people so I would expect no less to come from your efforts. Almost no items sell for undervalued amounts but that's not the point of this auction and it should really get more credit/attention for the good will/work it inspires.
    pending how those colors actually look I cant imagine they will do anything but add to the uniqueness of your offering.

12. So, Jake Hightower at Arizona Ironwood LLC kindly offered to donate our handle wood when he found out what it was going for. Big props to those guys! Not only are they great people, but they are one of only a handful of wood vendors I will even bother with anymore. Mark Farley, Myron Ronis, Pete Rushton, and Dennis with Islewoods round out the entire list. These guys have shown me with their product that they are dedicated to helping me provide my best work for you all. For a craftsman, that's no small thing.

Anyhow, with what Bill and dough have said (along with Jason's previous endorsement)...it looks like pink is in. I'll be going through the block options tomorrow and will either pick one out, or if I have a tough time I'll post some up for you all to help me choose.

More to come as it happens
    :).

13. Toothpick

14. XooMG

XooMG Founding Member

Could always do your maker's mark extra deep and fill with durable pink enamel too.

15. I actually thought about that Robert, LOL!! I'm also talking to a friend about the possibility of making me a one off pink ribbon stencil to etch next to my name for this razor. Either or both could be enameled in.

That's actually kind of funny...the same thought, from opposite sides of the world :D.

16. James

James smarter then your average duck Founding Member Gold Contributor

your going to be shocked when you see how well this does in the auction with how its all shaping up. also for the record I like block number 2 in your pictures.

this is going to be epic

17. I like the sound of that James!!

I'm debating on the style of finish, mirror polished blade with white wispy habuchi...or dark blade with black and grey habuchi...as well as considering doing something special with the scales. I've been making one piece scales from a solid piece of wood...meaning no wedge. But...I was kicking around the idea of the pink burl with bog oak and nickel silver 'racing stripes' in a diagonal pattern near the butt. Similar to my kitchen knife handles. This would probably require a liner of some sort though, which would mean a separate wedge (also probably in bog oak lol).

It's not set in stone...just an idea for now. Maybe a bit of an ambitious one when I've only made four sets of scales to date lol. But...well...I guess that's just kind of how I do things sometimes ;).

Decisions, decisions!

18. So, Jake sent me some short videos showing me the three pieces of wood...and I still can't quite decide. I combined them into one video (in the order they're listed above) and have posted them below for you guys.

Be sure to switch to HD!

You can see how different the colors are vs what they've pictured above lol. Jake's been working hard to take professional quality photos of all of their wood to replace the pictures they had though...which is really nice. As for the wood choices, I'm liking 2 and 3 the best I think. 2 is longer, which gives me some options, but I kind of like the 'pink flame' look on 3. 1 doesn't do a lot for me...as I've never been a big fan of just the eyes in wood.

What do you all think?

19. Toothpick

20. That's the one I'm leaning towards too Jason.