1. {Name}
    Welcome to the KKF!
    Please take a moment to register and stop by the New Member Check-In and say hello. We sincerely hope you enjoy your stay and the discussion of all things sharp.
    Feel free to jump right in on the conversation or make your own. We have an edge on life!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Take a look at our new AUCTION SYSTEM

This service is available to all KKFora members to both Bid on and Auction off (Sell)items.
    Dismiss Notice

Aritsugu Kiritsuke Repair

Discussion in 'JapaneseKnifeSharpening / Dave Martell Knives' started by Dave Martell, Mar 4, 2014.

1. Dave Martell

Dave Martell Professional Craftsman Founding Member

I got in this Aritsugu Kiritsuke with a broken tip, chips in the edge, and with about a 45deg micro bevel. This maker's knives are among the hardest to sharpen let alone do repairs to and this one challenged me as expected. I wasn't to do a full refurb here, just a tip repair and sharpening so it's far from perfect, what do you think though?

[​IMG]

2. bieniek

bieniek Founding Member

Awesome Dave !!!!!

I really enjoy looking at pictures of restored single bevels, I more or less know how much work goes into it and its never as easy as it looks at the beginning just like you said ;)

Do you straighten the blade fully before you start on sharpening? I ask cause the shinogi is little funky, reminds me some fights with that in twisted usuba one time...

Wouldn't you personally like the tip more mean, aggressive?

If you have more of these, please show them ;)

3. Dave Martell

I don't think that this one needed straightening but I do recall the shinogi line being whacked and I remember feeling good that I got it back to this condition. If I had days to play with it I could make it perfect but as they say, " time is money" :)

4. bieniek

bieniek Founding Member

Please dont get me wrong Dave, Im not criticizing you at all, just trying to pick your brain.

Yeah truth time is money hell yeah.
    I remember very well the Masamoto I polished, my very very first single bevel, I sold it to a man who [found out later] totally has null clue on how to use or sharpen that kind of blade. Im was dissappointed, so Im not so keen enymore on doing that for people without passion for blades.

5. Dave Martell

Oh I get where you're coming from, sorry if I seemed put off but I'm not.

Yeah doing this kind of work for a knife abuser is tough to deal with. :eek:

6. Jay

Jay No soup for you Founding Member

Nice job on a cool style from a classic brand. Win win win.

7. EdipisReks

EdipisReks The Picasso of Creepiness Founding Member

That looks really nice, Dave. You continue to be an inspiration. :) What does the backside look like?

8. Dave Martell

As I recall it was pretty bad even afterwards. The edge quality was OK though, it wasn't over sharpened, there were just some real deep rust spots present.

9. EdipisReks

EdipisReks The Picasso of Creepiness Founding Member

That stuff is tough, Jon didn't even want to repair the ura of a knife I wanted to send him, and he has the big water stone wheel. I'm sure that knife cuts great, now!